Hi, a friend of mine has been complaining about joint pain for some time now. Since it did not cease, he went to see a doctor. He was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. The doctor also prescribed him some medicine. I do not know what. I was wondering if you can tell me what works for rheumatoid arthritis.

Hi, first of all I must tell you that rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease. The immune system is producing antibodies that attack, in your friend's case, joint tissue. This produces inflammation that makes the pain appear. There is no known cure for rheumatoid arthritis. The treatment is based on treating the symptoms of this illness, such as pain, stopping joint destruction and making the joint function maximally. Combination of medications, rest and joint strengthening exercises has been found as a great way of dealing with this condition. Therefore, the answer to your question would be that this works for rheumatoid arthritis. The treatment is also adapted to characteristics of the illness and of the patients such as age and general health. Because of this, it is good that your friend has visited the doctor. He is the only one that can determine the right course of treatment.