Hi, I have a question regarding my friend. He has been complaining about joint pain for some time. After he went to the doctor, he was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. However, this was not the end of his troubles. When I last talked to him, he said that he has rheumatoid arthritis nodules. What are these nodules?

Hi, joint pain and stiffness of them are common symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. Although it is not precisely known what causes it, hormone changes and genetics are linked to this condition. Studies have also shown that smoking influences creation of this illness. Rheumatoid arthritis nodules are actually bumps. They vary in size, from small, pea size like, to larger. Rheumatoid arthritis nodules are a common follower of this illness. They occur in nearly one third of people that suffer from this condition. Nodules usually appear over pressure points of the body (spine, lower leg bones and elbows). They occur in the chronic cases of rheumatoid arthritis and are related with severe joint deformity.