I recently came across an advertisement for McDavid waist trimmer which seems to be just a velcro thing you wear around your waist for how long you want during the day, or night, I suppose - and it is somehow supposed to work to make you lose some weight.

It isn’t really all that expensive - it’s around $15, and they claim you’re going to lose weight just by wearing it no matter if you diet or exercise, so that part definitely sounds way too easy and too good to be true. could someone tell me how exactly is McDavid waist trimmer supposed to work?

I definitely agree with you on the part that if it sounds too good to be true, then chances are that it probably is just too good to be true. From what I understand,  McDavid waist trimmer works by heating your fat deposits in your waist area and works like kind of mini sauna and they claim that that heat alone helps in melting fat deposits.

It's not like the first time people have tried to lose weight by heating the areas where fat deposits were, but I think all that does is causing the excess sweating - and you can lose few oz of water like that, so I suppose the longer you use it, the more 'water weight' you lose.

McDavid waist trimmer is certainly not the only product of this kind on the market, and these belts are usually called 'sauna belts' because they work on the simple principle - they heat up the area you're wearing them on, so the excess sweet leads to simple water loss through sweating.

Some people also claim they work by providing additional blood circulation in the area, while you exercise, and that that's their additional effect in breaking fat deposits. If nothing else, you will lose some pounds quickly by sweating, but you'll gain them back nearly as quickly.