Hi, folks. My cousin has been hospitalized recently. He was diagnosed an acute kidney failure. I must admit that this is the first time I encounter this term and I would like to know when this syndrome occurs. I would really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance for all your replies.

Hello. There are three group of factors that cause acute kidney failure. Those are prerenal, renal and postrenal factors. Prerenal factors are related to blood conditions before blood reaches kidneys. The most common causes are: dehydration (diarrhea, extensive burns, vomiting,...), drop of blood pressure, heart failure, liver failure, narrowing or blockage in blood vessels that lead blood to the kidneys, etc. Postrenal factors are ones that are related to the area after the kidneys. Those are mostly blockages in bladder and other urine pathways. Renal causes are related to kidney diseases. Those are: glomerulonephritis, blood vessel diseases, acute tubular necrosis, acute interstitial nephritis, injuries of kidney tissue, etc. I hope your cousin will feel better. Feel free to ask me anything you want to know. I will help you if I can.