Hello, folks. I was on my routine check up and some proteins were found in my urine. I must tell you that I don't have any symptoms. I would like to know how serious this really is. Can anyone help me with this? I would appreciate all your replies. Thank you in advance.

Hi. Proteins in urine are a presence of serum proteins in urine. It is also known as proteinuria. There are many conditions that can cause proteinuria. It can be caused by so called prerenal factors. Those are factors that “appear” before kidney. Some of them are: combustions, dehydration, certain forms of blood diseases, malignant blood diseases, diabetes mellitus, eclampsia, etc. Renal factors are linked to kidney. One of the most common is glomerulonephritis. This is a very serious disease. Factors can be postrenal as well.