Hello, folks. My uncle has been recently caught in fire and he got some serious burns. As far as I know, his kidneys started to fail functioning. His doctor mentioned that he had pre-renal failure. I don't know what it is and I would surely like to know something more about it. Thanks.

Hi, there. Prerenal failure is a type of acute renal (kidney) failure. Acute renal failure is sudden loss of kidneys' functions. Prerenal failure is caused by factors that happen “before” kidney. The main cause is dehydration. It can be caused by a significant loss of body fluids and as a result there is a decreased blood flow into the kidneys. At that moment kidneys start malfunctioning. Dehydration appears with extensive burns, diarrheas, vomiting, etc. Another cause is stopped blood flow to the kidneys. In this case there is usually an obstruction in renal arteries. Shock with hypotension (very low blood pressure) is another prerenal failure factor. I hope you are satisfied with this reply.