:-D Hi I am New Here I Am A 34 Yr Old From Alabama I Have Been Thinking About A Breast Reduction But The Thought Of The Surgery It self Makes Me nervous. I Wear A 54 DDD Bra I Have A Gland Problem And I Am 5'3 And Weigh 289 I Take Thyroid Medicine And The Main Reason Why I Have Thought About A Reduction Is Because My Breast Are So Heavy They Are Droopy And Saggy And I Have Pain In My Neck,Shoulders,Shoulder Blades And Rashes Under My Breast. My Boyfriend Of 8 years keeps Trying to Talk Me out of The surgery He Says It will Be real Painful and That its Unnecesary To Have Any Advice Would Be appreciated Thanks! Jennifer

Hello! I am not sure if thyroid problems would interfere with the breast reduction surgery, I only know that hypothyroid make eyelid surgery difficult but I haven’t heard anything about breast reduction.
This is something you need to talk to a surgeon about. S/he should evaluate your physical health and decide if you are a good candidate for the surgery.

I know it is very hard to make that decision and it may be even harder to find a good surgeon but I have to say that I know how you feel. Your boyfriend is right, it will probably be painful ( but only until it heals) but from my point of view I think it is more painful now.

I also have problems with big breasts and always wanted to have them reduced. I am a C but sometimes I could fit into a D and would certainly enjoy smaller breast.
I don’t have any additional problems because of my big breast but if you asked me, I would support you in your decision to get rid of them if your doctor decides you are healthy and up to it.

I know there are other things to consider here, especially the thing that your boyfriend loves them the way they are now (I know that) but this is your call and anybody else’s.

Good luck!

I wanted to send a responce to myguardianangel. I read your questian about breast reduction. My name is Kristina and I am 28 and from California. I had this procedure done 3years ago, and I weigh 318 and am 5'6. Based on my surgical outcome I would have to strongly suggest against it. First be 100% sure this is what you want and exactly what you want. Talk to more than one doctor, do your research both on the doctor and the procedure (specific procedure) you want done.

The reason I am saying these things is because I had a very bad experiance with mine. I was 25 at the time, married and had a three year old son. I met with the doctor once for a consult and than seven months later for my pre-op visit and than again at the hospital on the day of surgery. Things were not made very clear to me on some of the specifics or some of the risks (and how great the risks were). My surgery was only to be 2-5hrs and went 8 1/2hrs. The next day I was discharged against my wishes, but since I had no choice and I had a small child at home I went to my mothers for the 1st two weeks to begin healing. Before I left the hospital it was aparent to me that the left nipple was already dying. Over the next few weeks I had a mild infection start and lost both nipples competely to tissue death. My stitches came out after two weeks and I expressed concern to the doctor. By the next day my insisian had begun to open 8in. on one side and 6in on the other, and much of the tissue began to fall out. I tried to contact the doctor, but he was not available so I went to the ER and they contacted him to come in and fix it and all he did was cut the hanging tissue out and pack-it and lecture me on how I should have never gone to the hospital. From this point it took 4 more months for all the tissue to close up and finish dying.

When all is said and done I now have no remaining breast tissue, no nipples, severe neurological pain, a scar that looks like someone attact me with a chain saw, not to mention the depression and mental anguish.

I have since chosen to take it to the law and have found out that this doctor had his privilages removed from one of local hospitals, as well as around ten other law suits in the last ten years. I have since been told that do to my weight and health the surgery stood a 40-100% chance at having a severe complication.

I don't want to completely scare you, after all this is very rare. I just want you to know what the worst can realy mean and tell you if you decide to do it to realy check out the doctor and the procedure.

I had a breast reduction almost 12 years ago. I was larger than an F! I had what they called (at the time) a "key hole" procedure. Recovery time is going to vary from person to person...for me I found a few things that helped. Wear a sports bra until you heal and even after if you like. They are the most comfortable bra's you can wear!! I also couldnt sleep on my tummy or side pressing towards my tummy for over a year after my surgery. I am now very happy with my reduction. I only have alittle scarring. Please, if you plan on having this surgery, make sure you trust your doctor with everything you have!! This surgery, if not done correctly can leave you scarred or with other problems. Good luck to you!

Jeannine

hi i go for my first consultation in may for a breast reduction. im 27, 5'3, 177lbs and 46DDD breast size, im constantly in pain, ive had two children and am now fixed so i spoke with my doc about the reduction surgery and so she set me up with him, im very nervous about the surgery too, but the doctor im going to also did my aunts breast reduction and with great results.. i would love to hear from anyone about thier experiences. i posted a topic on it in the breast section of steady health but cant get anyone to respond...

Hi, I just had my breast reduction surgery 3 days ago. While I'm still in a little bit of pain, I'm a million times better than I was the day I came out of surgery. The meds were a little rough but the healing process has been speedy for the most part. I'm 23 and went from a 36 J to (what appears to be) a DD cup. When the swelling goes down, the surgeon and nurses guess that I'll be a C cup. I weighed myself this morning and discovered that I dropped a total of 10 pounds which is ALOT considering I carried it only on my chest for many years. I've suffered from back pain, shoulder pain, neck pain, etc.

Even though the process wasn't easy, I'm glad I've gone through this at a young(ish) age rather than waiting it out. I'm still healing and would definitely advise you to go through with the procedure if you're a healthy candidate. Remember, the pain form surgery is temporary but the benefits will last a life time.

Hi, I am 16 years old and a 36E cup. I'm only 5'3", so i'm really short and my breasts are way too large for my frame. Since a young age I've been expierencing back pain, headaches, tension and pain in my neck and shoulders. I will be going for a breast reduction the day before my 17th birthday. It will be painful, but i trust my doctor and have family members who have gone for the same procedure. I recieve cruel and nasty comments from other people, especially old men. My confidence is extremely low, due to the fact that most tops don't fit me, I can't find bras and people say inconsiderate things.

Having sagging and drooping boobs can break down your confidence, and your boyfriend shouldn't determine this decision. It's your decision to make. It will obviously be painful, but hey, no pain no game. He doesn't have to suffer with chronic body pain, so you shouldn't bother listening to him trying to ersuade you hun. Woman are tough, you can do it. I'm still a young teen, and I have faith that I will be strong and in the end, all the pain will be completely worth it. My advice is to do what will gain your confidence and stop all your aching, so see a reconstructive surgeon and hera his opinion. Good luck!:-)

I'd agree with your boyfriend, that its better not to get the surgery. I'd say that with the weight that you listed your best option to see if you can loose 50-75 pounds and see if your breast size will go down with that. I've known many a woman who had DDD's because they were twice the weight they should be (not that you are) and after they lost their weight they went down to a B or C cup... Try that first before expensive and dangerous surgery... If after you exersize, loose some weight, and strengthen you back you are still expereinceing suvere pain, then I'm all for it, but it's likely most or all of the problems will go away...

To the 17 year old that is getting surgery, you're too young, period. Not only with the fact that you're only 16 and unable to mentally make the decision, but you are likely to grow it back once you have another growth spurt, let alone the fact that you will not be able to breast feed.... I've seen 16 year olds with 38EE breasts without back pain, it's called exersize. It's sad that this can be emphasized enough, but if you do a little bit of exersize and make sure you wear the correct bra then you won't have as severe or any headaches, at least caused by your breasts. I'd be willing to bet the problem is poor posture and lack of exersize caused by playing to many video games or sitting in class poorly... You were given a gift, dont' waste it...

Would you support a 15 year old getting DDD breast implants if they were an A? I don't think you would, and it's the same difference...

Note: I have 38DDD - E's (depending on bra) on a 5'1" frame, and I don't have any back problems because I make sure I exersize on a semi frequent basis, wear correct bras, and am carefull about my posture.