Howdy, I been wondering about the different types of insulin. Which insulin is best, old or new? Does anyone know anything about this and perhaps experience with it. In my mind, I always think that newer things are better than older but that may not be the case here. Or, maybe it depends on your eating habits and exercise. Older forms of insulin might be better for some individuals while the newer forms might be better for other people. Does anyone have any information on this. Maybe someone out there has tried both. I'd like to know about your experience. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, I read scientific articles not too long ago that said that old and new insulin types are equal. According to researchers there was no real difference between newer long-acting insulin for diabetes type 2 and older insulin therapies. Experimental results indicate that both forms yield very similar blood glucose levels. This information was taken from volunteer's hemoglobin A1c tests which as you may know, or not, indicates average blood sugar levels over the previous 6 to 12 weeks. Researchers have reported there was one difference between old and new insulin types. According to the literature there were fewer incidences of hypoglycemia during the night with the new fasting acting type. However, their information was not overly clear. Some of this had to do with the fact that the studies didn't look at long-term insulin use nor did it look at the quality of life for the individuals.

I don't think there is long term information on safety of glargine or detemir. So you might want to be careful about those. However, you should be aware that different types of insulin work at different rates. You should know have each one works so that you can better understand when to take your kind of insulin before eating. Make sure to talk with your doctor about this.