Hello, I have a question about insulin doses based on simple carbs. I happen to be a type 1 and there seems to be a number of ways to calculate your dose but I'm looking for something simple. As simple as possible. I not really good with the math stuff. I'm a newby at this and really need some help but please keep it simple. All this stuff you have to pay attention to is very unsettling. I just know I'm going to mess up along the way. My parents are here to help me but I think they're having some problems with it as well. Any help you be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, so you want to calculate carb to insulin ratio. There is something called the 500/450 rule. For short-acting insulin like Humalog you use the 500 rule for total daily insulin and for Regular insulin you use the 450 ration for total daily dose. These calculations are for type 1. Remember that everyone responds differently to insulin so carb to insulin ratios will vary. For some individuals (adults), one unit of fast-acting insulin will generally take care of 15 grams of carbs. The 500/450 rule is often used to estimate a starting carb to insulin ratio.

For the 500 rule (Humalog and Novolog) simply take 500 and divide by your total daily dose of insulin. This gives you the grams of carbs that will be covered by one insulin unit. So suppose say you take 40 units of Humalog daily. Your carb to insulin ratio is one insulin unit for every 12.5 grams of carbs.

500/40 = 12.5 grams

For the 450 rule (Regular insulin) simply take 450 and divide by your total daily dose of insulin. This also returns the grams of carbs that will be covered by one insulin unit. So if you take 30 units of Regular then take 450 and divide it by 30 and this gives you 15 grams of carbs will be covered by one insulin unit.

450/30 = 15 grams