I do it on the bottom.

The side that has "butter here" printed on it, dummy.

You know, the French have many and varied uses for butter. Not all of them involve cooking. (I refer you to "Last Tango in Paris")

For the record, I like to break off a piece of bread from the baguelle and butter the end.

Marlon Brando is French?

Three things: A. There must be some sort of sexual innuendo thing here that I'm missing involving bread buttering. Why would anyone hold it upside down and butter it palm-down? Not only would you be unnecessarily fighting gravity at the dinner table, but you'd also be buttering blind unless you were holding the bread, knife, and butter over your head. B. Olive oil is swell too. I like to dip in pinzimonio. C. Andy, what the hell are you doing posting a reply to this whack-a$$ topic at 4.49 am on a Saturday?! Then again, why am I questioning that at 7.14 on the same Saturday?

Depending on my mood it could be top or bottom.

Hey. He can't help that he was thrown into high holy academia. But in the cafeterias of that heaven, they at least butter their bread like normal people.
Thrown, throne, thorn, Horn, turned on......5 degrees of changing it to sex

Nicely done BamBam!

Answers:
A: I again refer you to "Last Tango in Paris"
C: Wife and I were leaving for NJ at 0500 to attend the Seton Hall vs Rutgers Game at the Meadowlands. What else can I do at 0400 that will not wake up the better half ?