My gums have itched in several focal spots for as long as I can remember. I regularly visit dentists, and I have no history of periodontal disease. The itching is constant, 24 hours a day, every day. It has been relentless since childhood, even before I lost all my deciduous teeth. I regularly brush and floss, and I use listerine daily. My teeth and gums are immaculate and healthy. I am able to ignore the itch when I'm engaged in activities, but when I'm focused on the sensation, I am always tempted to poke my gums with a toothpick until they bleed. The most intense focus of itch is between teeth 10 and 11. Occasionally, if I irritate that spot, a painless papilla will form. I have tried switching toothpastes without luck. No dentist has ever been able to treat or explain the itch. I would love for someone to give me some suggestions of possible causes. Thanks!

I know what you are going through with your itching gums. Since it has been 6 months since your posting, I'm wondering if you've found any answers or help yet. My denist has found nothing wrong with my gums/teeth, my Dr. is clueless. My last resort is to go to a neurologist. There might be some neuro-drugs that might help. I'm willing to try anything. The itching is so intense, that I find myself using a pointed plastic hair clip on them. The more I scratch them, the more they itch and get sore and itch some more. I've tried mouthwash, those listerine paper like strips and even the stuff you put on babies gums when they are teething. All this these "remedies" are only a short temporary fix. I'm wondering if injecting them with Xylocaine would help! But it would probably come back after it wears off. Let me know if you've found any help. Thanks

Wow, you mean I am not alone? I have the same problem!! But fortunately it is not a constant itch. It is usually (but not consistently) brought on by certain foods, particularly sugars-including bread, and fruit. For example, after I eat cereal the itch, and the pain is sometimes unbearable. It started when I had braces about 20 years ago. The itch, or pain is concentrated right between my "eye teeth" and the tooth immediately behind it. It is strange since it is in the same place on both sides, as well as directly below these spots. Gum, toothpaste, mouthwash, flossing, poking the areas with sharp objects, and rinsing with cold water are some of the ways I relieve the discomfort. Similar to the stories I have found online, my gums are healthy, and my dentists have not identified the issue. However, about a year ago I went to a new dentist, who noticed that the teeth where I feel the itch are situated differently than all my other teeth. They touch like normal, but the space between them increases close to the gum line. It is only noticeable in the ex rays. He said that the pressure due to this configuration might cause some irritation in the gums.
Although the dentist was helpful in recognizing a possible cause, his only suggestion was to floss. But much like all other relief, flossing has not become a long term solution.
I hope this helps, good luck.

Guest wrote:

Wow, you mean I am not alone? I have the same problem!! But fortunately it is not a constant itch. It is usually (but not consistently) brought on by certain foods, particularly sugars-including bread, and fruit. It started when I had braces about 20 years ago. The irritating and sometimes painful sensation is concentrated right between my "eye teeth" and the tooth immediately behind it. It is strange since it is in the same place on both sides, as well as directly below these spots. Mint flavored gum, toothpaste, mouthwash, flossing, poking the areas with sharp objects, and rinsing with cold water are some of the ways I relieve the discomfort. Similar to the stories I have found online, my gums are healthy, and my dentists have not identified the issue. However, about a year ago I went to a new dentist, who noticed that the teeth where I feel the itch are situated differently than all my other teeth. They touch like normal, but the space between them increases close to the gum line. It is only noticeable in the ex rays. He said that the pressure due to this configuration might cause some irritation in the gums.
I hope this helps, good luck.

ive found that my itchiness is frequently caused by post nasal drip (often unnoticeable)...the mucus irritates my gums causing annoying itching

as others have said poking and prodding dont really help much beyond a few seconds of relief...but sometimes chewing a piece of gum does

OMG! I'm not alone either. I've dealt with this for 30 years off and on an I have been cleard by dentists too. People think I'm crazy when I tell them about this and don't understand why I poke til it bleeds. And, if that weren't enough, afterI've dug at it til it's sore, I will put vinegar or salt or mouthwash...anything that will make it burn but a t the same time feel good in some way!! I've never found a correlation with anything and when I read about the cold, I did just get over one. The only other thing is that I have asthma and since I was 5, I always complained that when i had a wheezing episode, my gums would itch. And, I'ma ctually going thru an episode now. I was looking for some relief and even tho I can't find any, I at least got some mental relief because I thot I was alone in this. I enjoyed reading your post. If u ever fig anything out, please share!!!

Wow, I'm really glad that I found this thread. I have dealt with itching gums for at least 15 years. But it comes and goes. I have noticed that mine tend to flare up when my blood pressure is up, like during strenuous exercise and also when I have a cold or sinus infection. Like the previous posters, I also have used toothpicks and pushed into my gums until they bleed. I generally end up brushing my gums almost raw, several times a day, then rinsing with peroxide and then listerine. As long as they're burning and not itching I'm okay. My dentist called it a hypersensitivity. My gums are also in great shape. I'm currently having a flare up, along with a sinus infection, and have been exhausted because when I lay down to sleep, it gets worse. Has anyone ever tried an anti-inflammatory drug, like Aleve for this problem?

I knew there had to be more like me out there! I almost always get itchy gums when I have a cold and it gets worse at night when I lay down. Post-nasal drip causing this seems to be the most logical culprit. I always thought it tasted salty when the itch was worse.
If I could fall asleep at all, I'd wake up rubbing my gums with my knuckles or jamming a fingernail between my teeth. I resisted breaking the skin as I learned the hard way that the itching was then worse during the day (just due to a different cause).
It's happening to me right now. When I go to bed tonight I will take some Benadryl and see if it helps. Maybe it's a histamine reaction in my gums in response to something in the post-nasal drip.
I do agree that the pain of stabbing or alcohol on the gums feels better than the itching!
good luck to us all

I asked my dentist about my itchy gums about 15 years ago.
I just mentioned to him that my gums itched and that's why I liked to get my teeth cleaned because it sort of scratched the itch....he laughed and said that it had something to do with pressure in my sinus cavities. He told me to take an over the counter decongestant. He also said mostly women complain of itchy gums. Are any of you men? I take them every time my gums start to itch..for me its actually a sign that I'm getting a sinus infection.

Like everyone else said. . .WOW I'm not alone. I got braces in October, then I had 3 teeth pulled last week. Now, my gums itch in the front on the bottom. Normally when it happens it's at night & brush, that does help some. I've gargled with peroxide too & it did help; but I'm looking for the fix that helps it go away completely! I'm wondering do any of you get keloids after you get cut by metal? By the way, no I'm not a man.

I can stand every other symptom of a cold, but the itchy gums are the worst! I rinse my mouth out with chloraseptic spray and use orajel just to function during the day. I also found that chewing gum feels good as it reaches between the teeth. Usually the best relief is good-old unhealthy grinding and smashing of the teeth. This has to be more common than just the few of us.

I also have "itchy gums" and I have been dealing with it for 24 years. I have had 2 different surgeries (gum & sinus) and have been to a neurologist and she prescribed 2 different anti-seizure meds. They actually helped but I didn't like the way they made me feel. I also use Nasacort daily since 2002 (after my sinus surgery - to remove a polyp in my maxillary sinus -- which my ENT believed was pressing on the nerve that led to my front tooth) I had an MRI recently and my maxillary sinuses are clear and thankfully they did not find anything major. They did notice that the sinus that runs along the right side of my nose was very congested so I started taking Mucinex D daily. It does help but certainly not as much as the Topomax (which the neurologist precscribed -- but again, I didn't like the way it made me feel)

I recently ran out of Mucinex and really "did a job" on my gum. It was one of the worst episodes I've had in a long time. My gum above my front tooth has been been really picked apart.

Good luck to all of you in finding relief and I hope one of us finds a cure!

Okay, I have the same problem! It's always on the gums in the same area for me in the upper left side of my mouth over 2 of my molars. I usually wind up scratching a little of the gum off with my nail due to the intense itching sensation. I then brush, floss and use listerine (sometimes repeatedly). Usually, the itch gets worse & worse once is starts, I swished a few times with hydrogen peroxide last night, it feels good b/c it fizzes up on the area & you can feel it cleaning the area. I have also been guilty of shoving a toothpick under the gumline to itch the area until it bleeds. It is unbareable when it starts! I am uninsured but it always goes away & my teeth & gums are in great shape other than this weird recurring itch (and when I say recurring I mean it can go away for 8 months & then all of a sudden it starts & usually only last a 1/2 day-a day). Sometimes when it come back though, its onset it fast & I know what's happening right when it starts. Usually I end up scratching & going too far, eventually the area turns whitish b/c off the damage I caused to the gum by scratching, it stops and that's the end of it. I am just trying to figure out what the heck it is all about!! Oh and FYI: the more you irritate it, the more it itches, last night I put orajel on it, it numbed the c**p out of it, I couldn't feel it at all anymore instantly, and now it's healing. If you need some instant relief, I'd recommend Orajel!! Hope this helps too :-)

ive been having the same problem too but for me it comes for a few days and goes again.the funny part is tht im a dental student a d looked it up in all books i know but found no name for the condition..
from my personal experience, touching the affected part more ,poking it with sharp objects, or other thngd will only provide temporary relief and will irratate it more.
i have tried taking diclofenac, and anti-inflammatory drugs and found some relief
hope ths helps.let me know:)

My gums have itched constantly for the past 8 or so years; the itching is centralized along the gum line. It started when I was too young to really pick up on it, and I initially thought it was "normal." When I finally mentioned it to someone their response made me realize that wasn't the case. Usually I just ignore it, but it gets worse when I itch my gums or brush my teeth. I've brought it up with my dentist several times and he hasn't come up with anything. I once thought it could be an allergic reaction to something in my fillings; I have a nickel allergy, so it seemed the perfect explanation. But apparently nickel isn't in fillings. Next I wondered if it was some autoimmune disease; maybe I was allergic to my own saliva, or something of the sort. I still haven't found any information that could support that, though.