I feel really tired all the time. My muscles ache and I have headaches. I wake up tired and stiff. One of my close friends believes I’ve developed a condition called fibromyalgia, but she is not sure. All my symptoms point to that direction. Is this really a disorder? Which symptoms can lead you to a FM diagnosis?

Fibromyalgia is manifested by muscle pain and constant tiredness. Other symptoms include so called “tender points” - specific places on your body that hurt very much when you put pressure on them. They are usually positioned on shoulders, legs, neck and back. Every person can develop specific symptoms, so some of them can have problem with their sleep or sense tingling sensations all over the body, while others can suffer from headaches, have problems with stiffness or can experience difficulties with remembering certain things (this is sometimes called “fibro fog”). Your description of the symptoms indicates the presence of fibromyalgia, but you have to visit a specialist. He will perform a thorough check - up in order to eliminate other possible causes of your condition. If the check - up proves the existence of FM your doctor will suggest possible solutions. Fibromyalgia is not a disorder that can be cured and the symptoms (re)appear throughout the entire life of a person with the diagnosis. This, of course, does not mean that there is no help. The therapy mainly consists of measures that improve the quality of life and thus reduce the pain and the stiffness. Those measures include avoidance of stressful situations, getting enough good sleep (even with the help of particular drugs but only if allowed by your doctor), massage, acupuncture, exercise and, in worse cases, the use of pain killers and antidepressants (again, only if those are prescribed by your doctor).