I have been suffering for several years with debilitating muscle pain/spasms. I was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia noting that the rheumotoligist said I had 18/18 tender spots associatted with Fibromyalgia. People out there with this awful stuff...can you give me any pointers on how to improve my condition? I cannot take Lyrica and I cannot afford massage therapy (not able to work) even though I did try massage two times, it only seemed to make me hurt more. Is there a diet? Excerxise? About the only exercise I can do ( I also had neck surgery) is walk. I've noticed lately I've had shin splints. Is this caused by Fibromyalgia? Any feed back anyone can give me or suggestions for fibromyalgia pain relief that suffers from this will be greatly apprecitated. Thanks.

I didn't include some other things that have been happening to me lately. Tennis Elbow, my heal feels like its bruised and of course the shin splints. These things appear without a reason. I wake up one day and here is the pain.
Sometimes I feel as if my body is absolutely falling apart!
Do others out there with Fibromyalgia suffer from these types of pains? Or is there also something else going on with my body?

Hello, KSF. Oh, my, I could write a book on this subject! Have had fibro since about 1990, and have yet to find anything that really helps, other than treating symptoms. I also tried Lyrica, but it was so sedating I slept 16 to 18 hours every day I used it. My dr wound up giving me continuous-release morphine (MS Contin) which I take each morning. While it's not ever a good idea to depend on narcotics, it's the only thing that's ever helped enough to allow me to get through the day without having to spend it in bed. Also, I have had relief from Indomethacin (sp) which is usually prescribed for severe arthritis pain and/or gout, but it's a very strong anti-inflammatory drug and can be very hard on your digestive system. Everything I've read about fibro suggests healthy diet, exercise and sufficient sleep - you tell me ONE person you know who can exercise when they are in such pain! Healthy diet didn't change my status, and part of the problem with fibro is that insomnia or interrupted sleep is associated with fibro. I personally believe that inflammation is a big part of fibromyalgia, and I am constantly researching various writings on inflammatory issues. No big answers yet, but I continue to look. Don't despair, if you can get some treatment for your symptoms, you CAN live with fibromyalgia. It's difficult, and can be so severe that you can't work (I had to eventually go on permanent disability about 10 years ago), but occasionally you can go into remission - I did, for about 18 months once - so keep on hoping. No one will understand how you can look so normal and yet be in such misery, but you must learn to ignore people who disparage your symptoms. If your present doctor is unwilling to treat your symptoms, find another doctor who will! That is the best advice I can give you - find a doctor who will respect your pain and treat it the best way he/she can. When the pain is too tough to handle, go to bed! Find, and join, a support group - online OR in person. Try to keep a positive outlook about your life, and know that remission is a great possibility. Some people don't go into remission very soon, but others have remission within 3 months from the first day of symptoms. Find things to keep your mind occupied while you are physically unable to do the things you normally do. I read a LOT, I knit, I spend lots of time with my pets. Stay away from friends who don't "get it" and rely on those who are understanding. I wish you all the luck in the world, and success in finding the right doctor to treat you.

Try yoga! I've had fibromyelgia since I was 15 ( I am 32) and yoga is my savior.

Good luck!

Namaste

I have had fibro for the past 7 years and was just recently diagnosed (also had 18/18 ). What I have done on my own is swimming, yoga, eliminating high fructose corn syrup and a gluten free diet (gluten free really helped with the fatigue). I have been told that inflammation can not exist with out sugars (including carbs), so be aware of this as you plan you daily meals. I have also found that keeping a schedule for exercise is very helpful. You may need to start with 5 or ten mins, but if you make it up to 30 mins 2-3 days a week it will really be worth it. Also for the exercise, ignore everyone around you—if you need a kickboard and flippers to do 5 mins or even walk in your lane (which is great, the water takes all the pressure off your joints that are under it), its ok. If you need to do 5 mins of walking at 1 mile/hour, then do it.
Be proud of every little thing you accomplish (even if it it walking for 1 minute), and look forward to your next accomplishment!