I have little white dots on my lips. It is very unpleasant, my skin has somehow shrunk and I can’t open my mouth properly. Today is the sixth day since their appearance and I think they are about to disappear. My friend tells me that those dots are actually herpes. I’ve always thought of herpes as of something associated with sex and genitals. Is it herpes?

This description fits the symptoms caused by the herpes virus. This virus is called herpes simplex virus (HSV) and it can be found in two variations. You are probably suffering from HSV 1 - it causes those dots commonly called blisters or cold sores on the lips, cheeks or chin. HSV 2 usually causes genital infection. However, both types are “interchangeable” - it means that HSV 1 can be transmitted to the genital area and HSV 2 can infect the area around your lips. This virus will stay in your body for the rest of your life and you are now possible source of infection for others. Some people never experience any of the symptoms, and, yet, they are carriers and they can infect others. It is also possible, if this was your first outbreak of the symptoms, that you never experience them again, but in case you do (most people who suffer from herpes find that the symptoms reoccur from time to time), try not to touch the place in order to stop the transmitting of the virus to other parts of your body (open sores and cuts are potentially dangerous) and treat the blisters with acyclovir.