So the other day i noticed what i thought was a canker sore, but it turned into LOTS of bumps. They vary in size, but they are mostly on the smaller side. They are white and all along the tip of my tongue. They are extremely painful and I can't eat and my speech is effected. Also, I am salivating a LOT.
I was concerned and went to my dentist today since I couldn't get in to see a doctor. He told me right away it was herpes, but he didn't give me a test of any sort. I've researched this and it seems herpes on the tongue is very rare. A friend of mine said she used to get these bumps on her tongue that look just like mine and they were ulcers/canker sores caused by stress and lack of sleep...both which are very prominent in my life right now. Now I'm confused.
My dentist prescribed Valtrex, but should i be taking it if i'm not even sure it's herpes? Do i have herpes?!? ( i have kissed some random boys recently...) HELP!

The only real way is to get tested honestly. I don't really trust docs that look at a case like herpes on the tongue and immediately assume. Whether or not he/she knows for sure, the test results will tell. I won't butt heads with a medical person, but get tested and find out for sure. They should have tested you before perscribing valtrex...