Hi, my son want’s to begin tapering from Suboxone. He has been on it about a month. but, we are worried now if he will have enough of this medication to continue with the therapy. If anybody has some good tapering plan, it is to advise thank you in advance.

Hi, when you are quitting something there are always withdrawal symptoms. But, since you haven’t been on suboxone for long time, you chances are very good. You should divide the left amount by deceasing taken amount for 1 mg every 3-4 days. In the end go down to 3mg for 3days, then 2mg for 3 days, then 1mg for 7days. After this you are not taking medicine any more. You are clean of drug too. It is important to quit soon, because the more you prolong therapy the greater are your chances of developing dependence.

I am on suboxone and got all the way down to 1mg and thought i was in the clear when i was going to stop but i was wrong. I had withdrawals even after getting down to that. I went to Florida Detox and gave them 12,000 dollars to get me from 100mg of methadone to suboxone not knowing that suboxone was addictive too. Although I think it was a rip-off that it cost me 12 g's to swap I DO NOT recommend trying to swap on your own with a high dose of methadone. Anyway the doc told me i would fell some kind of withdrawal for 11 days. So expect some discomfort but nothing like going cold turkey.

My dr said the least amount of time to take Suboxone is for months or you are sure to relapse. You are actually suppose to stay on one a day forever as a maintenance dose because it stops you from relapsing.

It sounds like you doctor needs to keep up his practice and he is more concerned about himself. My doctor has 100 suboxone patients at any one time. In his 5yrs he has NEVER seen someone get off the maintenance program. Not once. He has only seen people get off the detox (1-2month duration). That scares the **** out of me. I've been on suboxone for 2 yrs on and off. Seemed like I was relapsing every weekend when I had the free time. I got hooked during graduate school in engineering. I take my job very seriously and have used suboxone to get through the weekdays. For the last 6 months I have been very serious about quitting. Haven't used opiates once and have weened from 8mg down to 1mg a day. Stopping at 1mg is VERY difficult. I'm gonna try to taper down further. Who know's what will happen, but I for sure ain't stopping yet.