I just started Methadone 3 weeks ago.

I've been struggling with opiates for about 15 yrs. I was clean for a good 5 years, but then started up again about 5 yrs. ago but kept it to a couple of days a week to not get a habit, of course that didn't last. I've been hooked again for about 3 years. I've detoxed from Heroin/oxy's/dilaudid about 7 times in the past 3 yrs with the help of valium, chlonadine, muscle relaxants and sleeping pills, but I could never stay clean. I would always start up again a few days after I got clean. This time around, because of the fear of detoxing and missing work, I decided to go on Methadone. After spending a few hours reading message boards, I think I may have made the biggest mistake of my life!!!

It seems like the one week of shitty detox off of heroin is a breeze compared to the long drawn out painful taper off of methadone. I DON"T WANT TO GET FAT EITHER!!!!

I've been on for 3 weeks. I'm at 50 mg. If I start tapering now how bad is it going to be. I honestly can't miss work, and I have a physical job.

- because I haven't been on methadone long, will it be easier to get off?
- how slow should I taper, and by how much?
- i need to make this as painless as possible so I can work.
- or should I stay on it a few years and deal with it later?

from what I'm reading, it seems that the longer your on methadone, the harder it is?

also has every girl who's gone on methadone gained weight? like how much?
I drink it daily at the drugstore. After finding this board last night, I think I've made the biggest mistake of my life. If I stop taking my Methadone say, tomorrow and go back to using Dilaudid and Heroin, would I be sick?? I would do this only until I can book myself into a clinic to detox. I've detoxed of Dilaudid and H. before and it sounds like a breaze compared to methadone!!!! what do you think?? I've only been on 3 weeks. Seeing that a regular family doctor prescribes it to me, I do not get urine tests, so like the addict I am, along with my Methadone, I've still been using other Opiates, but obviously I don't feel them very much. I am very scared about Methadone. I need to do something soon, before it's too late! I live in Canada, Suboxone is not prescribed here yet.

***id get off it now, being on it for only 3 weeks its not going to kill you, and you wont be hooked on it right away... but the longer you stay on methadone your body will get used to it more. yes you do gain weight it all depends on how much milligrams your on, but when you tamper off the methadone you weight does drop real quick. Iv lost 10 pounds in a month from tampering slowly every week.

id get off now-take vitamnes and witthdrawals wont be so bad..st johns wort, b6,b12 and or multivatime- good luck!

I am on my 2nd day of coming off 20 mg daily for about a month im having heart palipitatiins hradache sore throat alittle nausea netviousness weakness chills and sweats depression but i still go to work so its not that bad YET

I also have been on dones for about a month or a lil over and today is my 2nd day of not having any. I was only doing 10 mg a day on my first day of not having any i sweated pretty bad but today i feel okay... with the help of xanax,,,helps alot!!! Benadryl and immodium ad will help tons with w/ds. I am just wondering if its going to get worse tomorrow i hear the 3 n 4 day is the worst but i havent been on it long and at a low dose.... :)

I was on dones for about 2 months and tried stopping and had WD!!! I got a few more dones and tapperd down to hardley nothing and while i was tappering i was also taking tons of vitamins and other things for bones cus dones get attached to bones and fat in your body and i am on day 6 of having no dones and i feel good!! Hope this help u just take lots and lots of vitamins before you even try stopping :)

Once a junkie always a junkie. If you feel that your life will go down hill and go back to using (you will) getting off methadone, you have to weight out priority's. I had a methadone baby 18 years ago, and stayed on methadone the whole time raising my kids. I am off now, less than a month, but my husband will die on methadone.
I know men tolerate methadone better than women.
You will get fat, I know some of the reasons is the sugar cravings, and having cup cakes for dinner.
Eat balanced meals, stay active and stay away from the sweets.
You know what's in your head and how far your addiction will go.
Methadone has saved lives, and family's.
You are not addicted to methadone, yet. It takes over 6 months to a year to level off and get where you need to be on methadone. Then it will be hard to detox. I got off the first time on methadone without a problem, only on 6 weeks, got off.
This time is a whole different story. I can never use opiates again, or back on methadone.
Best to you.

Do you want to stay in the rut you are in, or do you want to use methadone to recover and change your life?

Yes I agree get off asap I've been on it for 2 years I've just now have got down so I could quit. I was up to 70 mg I got down to 5 mg and just stopped taking it and I still went well going threw withdrawals its been 6 days now and it sucks but I'm going to make it. Drink lots of protein shakes and vitamins it helps. Good luck to you.