Hi everyone,

I have been asking myself this question for quite some time now. I've heard people talking about myocardial infarction through the hospital from time to time and I was never quite sure what this is. 

I gave it a little thinking and I figured out that this definitely has something to do with heart attacks, if it doesn't actually mean the same as heart attack.

Can you tell me anything about this matter? Is myocardial infarction just another name for a heart attack or if not, are they maybe related in any way? Hoping to get some help from you.

Hello there Bee,

Well that's a bit of an odd question but yes, you are right, myocardial infarction is just a bit more medical term for a heart attack, these two mean exactly the same.

Since people are mostly used to the term "heart attack", doctors have almost stopped using the term "myocardial infarction" because people don't understand them and they just call it a heart attack. 

I'm curious to know how exactly did you figure this out by yourself. Did you have any knowledge of medicine since you said that you heard about it in a hospital or were you there as a patient?

Hello everyone,

Yes, both of these things refer to the same thing mostly known as a heart attack.

Like Health n Joy wrote, most people understand the term Heart Attack and a very small portion of people understand the term Myocardial Infraction, therefore, the term Heart Attack is most often used.

But since the term Myocardial Infarction is a medical term and it was there before the term Heart Attack, it would mean that Heart Attack is just another name for a Myocardial Infarction and not the other way around. I understand that this doesn't matter but it's the proper way of comparing these.

Hello everyone,

You got it right Bee, these two mean the same thing. There isn't really a big explanation for this rather than the one that people above me already wrote, Myocardial Infarction is a medical term and like any other medical term, people don't really understand what it means so it is easier for doctors to just say "Heart Attack" without the fear of anyone not understanding what they just said.

Myocardium is actually a muscular tissue of the heart. Myocardial infraction would mean death of the cells of an area of the heart muscle as a result of oxygen deprivation.

Hi everyone,

Well, there is no better answer to this question than just: Yes, it is. Like others already told you, not a lot of people know about this matter so it is rarely used. Maybe it was more used about a decade ago when doctors took their time to explain what is a myocardial infarction to everybody who asked about it, but it is indeed wasting time when you can just call it a heart attack so anyone would understand you.

So yes, myocardial infarction is just another name for a heart attack, tell that to everyone who is wondering the same thing.

Good day there.

You are totally right. Myocardial infraction is just another name for heart attack. Even if a lot of people think that heart attack is “just” heart attack and that there is no other names that is wrong. Myocardial infraction is medical phase and when doctors tells the patient that he had myocardial infraction, that means that he had heart attack.

Actually, it doesn’t matter the name of it. But you should definitely know this because you need to know what this means in case you have it.

I have heard a lot of other terms for heart attack. But I can’t remember them.

Good day.

Yes it is, but I have to disagree with some of you who are saying that this is a medical phase and that there is no need for you to know more about this.

You should know this and I am glad that Bee started this topic. I remember when my mom had heart attack, it was silent one and doctors told her that she had myocardial infraction. She didn’t know what this was so she was really relaxed until someone told her that this is exactly the same thing like heart attack.

It is important for us to know some information like that.

It is a medical term for heart attack that is true. The medical term for heart attack can be precipitated by several conditions such as coronary artery disease, hyperlipidermia or cardiac arrhythmia. In myocardial infraction tissue death can occur and I think that this is more important to know than what is the medical term or other name for heart attack. I agree that you should know about this. But it is most important to know what can happen in case of heart attack. In myocardial infraction tissue death in the heart occurs an if the area of tissue death is extensive the person can die.

Hello there. I am a doctor, cardiologist. I really believe that it is extremely important to know all those medical terms for heart attack that we use for a very long time. I know why I am telling you this. Since I am a doctor I had a lot of problems with my patients about this because they were reading a little bit about this and they do know some medical terms, while some of the patients don't know. When some of my patients have a heart attack I usually tell them that they had myocardial infraction and when I tell them that this is the same thing like heart attack, that is the problem. I need to explain them how, when, what. It is not hard for me but I am just saying that medical terms are important just like other, ordinary terms.