Hi everyone,

My aunt came to visit us two or three days ago. She is living with her new husband in another country and they come every summer to visit their relatives here. We all had fun together and her and I went for a walk later, where she told me that she is supposed to do something called measuring of cardiac markers. She told me that it should show if she has any heart related problems.

If she happens to have them she will tell me, I'm sure about that, but now I am wondering if this measuring of cardiac markers has any dangerous side effects?

Hi Bee,

Cardiac markers are used in the diagnosis and risk stratification of patients with chest pain and suspected acute coronary syndrome (ACS). The cardiac troponins, in particular, have become the cardiac markers of choice for patients with ACS. Indeed, cardiac troponin is central to the definition of acute myocardial infarction in the consensus guidelines from the European Society of Cardiology and the American College of Cardiology.

Most people have no side effects whatsoever so I wouldn't worry much about that if I were you, I'm positive that your aunt is going to be just fine. Simply wait for the measuring results.

Hi you two,

There are a few risks but they tend to be quite mild. Your aunt's arm may be sore at the puncture site and she might have some mild bruising or brief throbbing.

Most people have no serious or lasting side effects from a blood test. Rare complications include:

• bleeding
  • lightheadedness
  • fainting
  • infection, which is a small risk whenever the skin is broken

She is supposed to contact her doctor immediately if she has any of these symptoms. These symptoms would mean that there is something bigger going on there than what they have thought. I agree with Health n Joy, just wait for the results.

Hello there. It depends. I know a couple of people who had those cardiac markers and of course, they didn't have any side - effects after this. But like someone in here already told you, it can happen even if this situation is very rare. I am totally sure that you will be just fine. It is very important to be prepared for it and once they do this measuring, you should wait for the results of the measuring. it is very simple procedure and there is really not a big reason for you to be worried. Have a nice day. 

Hello everyone. It is nice that someone has started this topic, because it is really hard to find someone's experience on the internet. It seems to me that people are really afraid to tell something about this. I had experience with it and thanks God I never had any side - effect. It was everything OK and I do know that my doctor told me that some side - effects can happen. So I was prepared to it. But nothing has happened and I do believe that you can have some, but that they are not dangerous. Good luck.

Hello there. I don't think so. Actually, I think that measuring of cardiac markers have benefits, not side - effects. I did this, my both parents did this measuring and my cousin also did it and nothing bad has happened. So, i think that you should not worry about this, you should not think that here are some side - effects, you should only think about benefits that measuring can bring you. So if your doctor told you to do it, you should do it without thinking about bad things. Good luck and I am sure that everything is going to be ok. 

Good day. Cardiac markers are biomarkers which are used to measure and evaluate heart function. Very often, they are discussed in the context of the myocardial infraction, but also some other conditions can lead to an elevation in cardiac marker levels. So, those cardiac markers can only help you determine is everything OK with you or not. That is why I have to agree with the rest of people in here – it is much better to pay attention on those good things, on benefits that measuring of cardiac markers can give you. Most of the people don't have side - effects.