I would be very appreciative for some professional or first hand experience advice.

I've been using Meth intranasaly for approximately 5 years on a daily basis. I've always wanted to stop but greatly feared suffering the depression and withdrawl. I'm 40 years old. Essentially, I'm a functioning addict. About 4 months ago I switched to smoking crack with the idea that it's not as difficult to rehab from and more is known about treatment methods.

I want to do this alone. I keep telling myself that I can. However, as I write, requesting your input, I've just realized that it is impossible for me to do so.

Thanks in advance for your comments on what to expect and suggestions on steps I can take such as vitamins, exercise and cautions with regard to quitting this paralyzing and destructive cycle that I've gotten myself into.

LOOK, I'm going to be brutally honest. You made a stupid decision when you first started using. It seems like atleast some part of you knows that. If you actually want to stop, and get off a drug like that, you're not going to do it on your own. What you need to do is go online, and lookup any psychiatric/rehab clinics in your area, find one that does seem like a joke shop, and check yourself in, and tell them NOT TO LET YOU LEAVE until you are clean. Even then, if you're not serious about this, you'll just go out and score and make all that effort worthless. YOU HAVE TO REALLY MAKE THE DECISION TO NEVER USE AGAIN. AND THAT MEANS NOTHING!
-IT WILL BE DIFFICULT!
-IT WILL HURT!
that much is true. Trust me! I DID THIS!!!! IT WORKED FOR ME!!! IT WAS THE BEST DECISION I EVER MADE, AND IWAS QUITTING HEROIN!!!
IF I COULD BEAT HEROIN, YOU CAN BEAT METH/CRACK!!!

I actually did the other version of this, and it is definitely not for most addicts. I'm 30 and I've been using since 13, not always the hard stuff and I've consistently drank and smoked weed since then. I've had year or two binges on both meth and heavy opiates even some decent coke and crack binges. I was in rehab at 14 and attending aa meetings everyday at 15. I was actually sober for about 9 months but resented all the normal kids and became hateful. Any way I'm just saying I grew up learning of addiction, my mom has been a drug counselor and now runs a rehab, plus I've always been fascinated by drugs and have done every one of them, except inhaling methane and some of the new drugs that seem to come out everyweek. I also have a well paying competitive job that I enjoy and attend school when I can to further secure my career. I've been complimented on my ability to handle hard drugs and function quit well with no one else noticing. Enough talking myself up....... Yes you can switch drugs and if done right you can minimalize the come down from any drug, it takes a little self control which we addicts aren't known for. I recently took the heroin to a level that I was ashamed of, Iv always prided myself on my ability to not let it get sad and not fun anymore. Well it did, but I couldn't ask for help because of pride and most people didn't even know, and I had to try to do it myself. It takes patience, time and a supply of many different drugs. Now you need ween done one drug as you will binge very shortly on another, and slowly get to a point were you've got down to a minimal amout of your original drug, if you can, go a day or two with out your 1st drug while combining two others that aren't related to your 1 st drug, after that small binge go back to your 1st favorite but leave out the other 2 for about 2 days, then repeat the process and you'll find your outlook on your favorite has already changed. Hope this helps.