Hi everyone,

My wife had a myocardial infarction recently, she was with me at the time, I took her to the hospital and everything turned out to be alright. I took her to the hospital yesterday for some regular control, she did an echocardiogram test and it showed a ST segment elevation.

I know that this isn't normal and it probably has something to do with the heart attack that she had. Her doctor is going to look at these echocardiogram results next week because he is on vacation until then. I wanted to ask you if someone here maybe knows what this means?

Hey Stradivarius,

ST Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction (STEMI) is the name cardiologists currently use to describe a classic heart attack.

“Myocardial infarction,” or heart attack, refers to the death of a portion of the heart muscle (myocardium) caused by blood flow interruption. “ST segment elevation” refers to a particular pattern seen on the electrocardiogram (ECG), often seen when a substantial part of the heart muscle is dying.

It kind of means that your wife is prone to having another heart attack. Usually, people who already suffered from a heart attack are more prone to having another heart attack. Sorry for the news.

Hi Stradivarius,

I'm afraid that Bee has a point here. ST segment elevation can mean some more things but its elevation is directly connected to the probability of having a heart attack. Depending on how elevated the ST segment is, she can have a heart at any moment.

A STEMI is the most severe of the three types of Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS). ACS occurs when an atherosclerotic plaque ruptures in a coronary artery. The rupture causes blood clots to form inside the artery, which often leads to the partial or complete occasion of the artery.

The heart muscle being supplied by the occluded artery begins to suffer from ischemia (lack of oxygen), which can manifest as angina (chest discomfort). If the blockage is severe enough heart muscle begins to die, and a myocardial infarction occurs.

If a person has ST segment elevation, there are some consequences which this situation is going to leave behind. An acute heart attack, in addition to the pain and distress it causes, can cause sudden death from ventricular fibrillation or from acute heart failure. After a heart attack is completed, the patient may be left with a substantially damaged heart muscle that can produce chronic heart failure, as well as an increased risk of dangerous cardiac arrhythmias.

To prevent such acute and long-term problems, it is critical for anyone who thinks they might be having a heart attack to call 911 immediately.

Hello there. It is a little bit hard to understand it since doctors use those medical terms to explain it.  I found it on the internet, I was reading it but I was not able to understand it 100 percent. Look, acute coronary syndromes are currently classified according to the presence or absence of ST elevation at hospital admission. ST elevation usually reflects acute thrombotic coronary occlusion. The most effective treatment consists in recanalisation of the occluded artery as soon as possible, preferably by primary percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) or by thrombolytic treatment. However, myocardial salvage relies on rapid, and sustained myocardial tissue perfusion. Epicardial patency does not necessarily imply adequate perfusion at the myocyte level.

Hello folks.

I am not so familiar with this issue and I don’t know anyone who have problems with it, but a few days ago I have heard one guy talking about it and I was thinking that he made a mistake. Now I see that he didn’t.  I do know that the ST segment is the flat, isoelectric section of the ECG between the end of the S wave (the J point) and the beginning of the T wave. It also represents the interval between ventricular depolarization and repolarization. The most important cause of ST segment abnormality (elevation or depression) is myocardial ischaemia or infarction.

Hi there, when you are dealing with STEMI that can mean that more things are connected with primary causes of a heart attack.

It can be seriously because STEMI heart attacks are deadly in the whole world. STEMI is very serious. This is a type of heart attack that requires immediate, emergency revascularization. In that case, it restores blood flow through the artery and the revascularization is achieved either with drugs or mechanically with the angioplasty. Angioplasty is the treatment that is using tin, flexible tubes called catheters. They are used to open the closed artery and prevent the heart attack.