Hey everyone. My maid of honour can't go at the vacation trip with me. We paid to go to Tunisia, and we can't because she is sick. I am really sad and mad. I know that it is not fair because she didn't chose to have this problem, but we should go to this trip for one week. She told me that she has stunned myocardium and that she is not feeling that good at all. I have tried to find something about it (It is not that I don't trust her, but I need to know), but I didn't have any success. Can you tell me what is Stunned Myocardium and how it is diagnosed? Thank you!

Hello dear guest.

Myocardial stunning is the reversible reduction of function of heart contraction after reperfusion not accounted for by tissue damage or reduced blood flow.  When total ischemia occurs, the myocardium switches immediately from aerobic glycolysis to anaerobic glycolysis resulting in the reduced ability to produce high energy phosphates such as ATP and Creatinine Phosphate. In this case, the lack of the energy and lactate accumulation results in cessation of contraction within 60 seconds of ischemia. I guess that this disease is diagnosed at the same way like other issues – according to the symptoms that patients have. Good luck. 

Hey two of you. Myocardial stunning and hibernation are both clinically important causes of myocardial dysfunction. They are usually caused by episodes of myocardial ischaemia. Stunning tends to occur acutely and may produce transient but clinically important reductions in left ventricular function in the setting of myocardial infarction, post coronary artery bypass grafting and even following episodes of effort induced angina. I am pretty sure that your maid of honor can travel with you, all that she needs to do is to consult her doctor before she goes to this trip. After the proper treatment, she can travel anywhere.

Good day there. It is important to understand the definition of stunned myocardium. That  is viable myocardium salvaged by coronary reperfusion that exhibits prolonged postischemic dysfunction after reperfusion. Hibernating myocardium is ischemic myocardium and it is supplied by a narrowed coronary artery in which ischemic cells remain viable but contraction is chronically depressed. It can be different, and when I say different it can have some different types of it. About the diagnose, I think that your doctor can easily recognize the symptoms and signs and during some tests he will be sure is this stunned myocardium or something else.