Hello. I just found this site and I see there are many things that I need to read. But before doing there I’ll post some questions here that I would like to know. Hopefully someone will write a reply. I recently heard about doppler scan. I actually heard about it years ago but didn’t really pay much attention to what it was and what is it used for. Now one of my relatives told me that she needs to have this procedure done and she assumed I knew what she was talking about. Well I don’t. Can you tell me what is doppler scan anyway and is this procedure invasive?

Hello Guest. I am really glad that you are here, with us. We are trying to help everyone with our experience so I really hope that we will be able to help you too.

A Doppler scan is a noninvasive test that is usually used to estimate your blood flow through blood vessels by bouncing a very high frequency sound waves off circulating red blood cells.

A Doppler test can estimate how fast blood flows by measuring the rate of change in its frequency.

I think that this ultrasound or scan is a noninvasive medical test that helps physicians diagnose and treat some medical conditions, but I am not 100 percent sure.  

Hi there. Well I do definitely know what this scan is and what is used for. I had this procedure done twice and I can tell you that it was very uncomfortable for me – I don’t know why, maybe for no reason at all but I couldn’t help it. Anyway, I really don’t like any procedures like this one. It is not that complicated. There are three basic types of Doppler scan and they are : Bedside" or continuous wave Doppler, Color Doppler and Duplex Doppler. I had the same problem because no one told me what this scan exactly can do and what it can find out. Maybe I was uncomfortable because I was not prepared :/

Good day. My sister had Doppler scan a few years ago. I am not sure is this procedure invasive or not, but I am pretty sure that I do know what this procedure is.

This is one very modern ultrasound machine. She told me that Doppler scan is most often used in the third trimester in women with high –risk pregnancy (my sister was in this category).

It is usually used if your doctor has any concerns about your baby’s growth later in the pregnancy and I didn’t really know that anyone can do this Doppler scan.

It is safe.

Hi. Doppler scan or Doppler ultrasound is a special ultrasound technique that will allow the physican to see and evaluate blood flow through arteries and veins in the arms, neck, brain, legs, and abdomen. About your other part of question, Doppler test can be used as an alternative diagnostic tool and the result are comparable to more invasive procedures. This scan can be used for so many different things, to discover what is wrong with you. I believe that everyone who have any kind of problems should do this scan. Yes, it is true that this scan is very effective in pregnancy.

My sister had Doppler scan done. She also says she was uncomfortable during it. I remember she talked about having that done like a thousand of times.

This test practically uses reflected sound waves in order to see how blood flows in the blood vessel.

It helps the doctors to see how blood flows through major arteries and veins. They usually include those in legs, neck and arms.

When reduced or blocked blood flow shows a blockage doctors can act on time to prevent a stroke.

And no, this procedure is not invasive. It is an alternative to other invasive procedures.

I think that a lot of people opt for this solution. I am not sure what the reason is but I think that it’s probably because it’s not invasive. I’ve never had a doppler scan so I don’t have any personal experience with it. But I know a few people who had it and I can ask them to give me some information about it if it will help you.

Is there anything in particular that you would like to know and that you would like me to ask them? Those people work in the same building as I so I can ask them the next time I see them.

Maybe it would be helpful if you could ask them how does this procedure look like. I would like to know the whole procedure, step by step, what are they going to do to me, is there any preparation needed.

I have a friend who also had a Doppler scan. I asked her a few questions about it but she never answers my messages on facebook. I assume that is because she doesn’t like to talk about that. Maybe she doesn’t like to think about her illness and procedure she took so I don’t really blame her for not answering me.