Hello. I am a guy 17 years old and I can't stop biting my nails. I know it is an ugly habit, but I just can not stop. I have tried everything - including that nail polish which is soar by the taste. I just don't know what to do with myself. I really want to quit biting my nails. Do you have any idea, or solution that can help me?

You know, if you tried all of those things out, then, you probably can't stop doing it. And there maybe isn't a cure. It is chronic, and maybe if you try really hard, without any help, you will succeed. You just have to try. If that isn't your thing, I know a guy that literally cured nail biting with hypnosis. Believe it or not. And he doesn't bites his nails any more. You can try with that also.

I suffered with nail biting all my life. I have noticed that ever since I was given zoloft for anxiety issues in 1992 I have not had the cronic compulsion to nibble. I was told by a medical professional that when anxiety is present blood flow increases in the fingertips. This is the principle upon which the polygraph test was created. I believe that the increase in blood flow in the fingertips is what drives the need to chew. Zoloft first appeared on the scene in late 1991. It is not an anti-depressant, as many think, rather, it is an anti-anxiety drug. If this doesn't work for you then I would suggest you inquire about stop-smoking aids with your doctor.