I have a severe case of "nail biting" . Since i was young i would do this and it is now ruined all my nails (feet and hands) and also have picked the skin, with nail clippers, on the bottoms of my feet . I saw that cognitive theropy helps but what else can I do for myself?

Have you tried doing anything like getting nasty tasting nail polish? I know that CBT can help out quite a bit and that's something you can do that's self-directed but I think maybe a nail polish with chili powder or something it would help you quite a lot. What do you think? Have ou heard of it?

Hello there,

Your nail biting is a form of obsessive compulsive disorder and I am sure that you are aware of it. There is no need to tell you the symptoms because you are looking at them every day.

The treatment options are various. You can try with some nasty chili pepper nail polish, I have heard of it but I don’t know how much is helpful. But there is no harm in trying with this.

Second option is cognitive-behavioral therapy. The goal would be to break the cycle of your habit. This can be done by combining nail polish (even ordinary nail polish) medications and therapy.

I hope that this was helpful and that you will manage to get rid of that nasty habit.