Two years ago I started getting my nails done. This first 10 or so times, I had no reaction. Then suddenly I had a a reaction. Itchy, red, tiny blisters just on my fingers. So I had not gotten my nails done in over two years. I just started a new job and I'm very self consiouous about my nails ( I bite my nails) so I really need to get them done. Got them done first about 3 weeks ago....no problems, got a fill two weeks ago, no problem, got another fill a couple of days ago and ONE finger is reacting to something. Two tiny tiny blisters...................I LOVE getting my nails done! Is there something I can do to just put on this trouble area?

Bummed!

LD

Like you I have acrylic nails but have had them for almost 20years and on and off have had an alergic reaction as you described however I now have a rection every time I have an infill I have even tried taking antihistimine for a few days before and after infill and this doesnt help at all I have also tried creams they don't work either ! I have researched a lot on the net and all the advice says the same once you have a reaction you will always have a reaction if you switch to gel you will eventually have a reaction to that too the only solution is to remove them for good and persevere with your own nails, sadly. I know that isn't what you wanted to hear me neither but dont want to risk infections and possibly damamging my nail bed so that it never grows again ! I found a product on **** which is specifically for damaged nails following acrylics and guarantees results or your money back so as my new years resolution I am going to bite the bullet and try that. Hope this helps .......

**edited by moderator**web addresses not allowed**

I agree totally. I'm a nail tech and have seen this type of allergic reaction before. It can happen after the first time you get acrylic nails, or it may happen a year or two after your first set is applied. There are different reasons why this happens, but most often it is due to overexposure of the acrylic monomers (the liquid) to your nails, and the surrounding skin. This happens often in the salons that are commonly referred by nail techs as 'discount' salons. They tend to use a very wide brush which will absorb more liquid than is needed. Well, the excess liquid easily spreads out onto the sides of your nails, and onto your skin. Over time, this can result in an allergic reaction. And its true, once you experience this type of allergic reaction, you will always experience it. It doesn't go away. And this means no more acrylic nails, nor gel nails, silk, or any kind of nails which contain acrylates. Also, you may want to advise your dentist that you have an allergic reaction to acrylates because sometimes this material is used in fillings and other types of dental work. By informing your dentist of this, you can spare yourself the hassle of getting yet another reaction. The dentist will use a substitute material which will not give you a reaction.
But yes, the only thing you can, and should, do now is to wear natural nails, and just take good care of them. I've seen a lot of people with great looking natural nails. It just takes time, and patience to grow them. And of course, regular maintenance is also needed. Use a good cuticle oil on a regular basis, and protect your nails. Wear gloves when you will be exposing your hands to water, and/or household chemicals such as when cleaning, or doing dishes. Water is one of the single most damaging chemicals that can seriously damage your nails. Each time your natural nails get wet from water, they swell up from the moisture. Then when they dry, the nails shrink. If this occurs too often, then the result is dry, brittle and weak nails. GLoves will help to prevent this. One last thing: Treat your nails like jewels, not tools. In other words, don't use them to open soda cans, or scratch the sticky labels off of a containers, that osrt of thing. Take good care of them, and you'll see the results in no time at all.
I hope this helps!

I too had this reaction with my last two fills. I had decided to grow them out because  I was afraid of permanent damage. Then I broke one and decided to try one of the techs that had a client with the same issue and so used a different liquid with the acrylic powder (I'm assuming an EMA vs an MMA). When she finished the nail, she wiped down the nail and cuticle area with a cotten pad and alcohol-only the top though. I had no bad itching or irritation or anything!!! But a couple days later underneath my nail got very dry/cracked like before. So now I am thinking that maybe if I get them done but scrub the top and under with alcohol afterwards, it may alleviate the problem. I'm going to try it asap. I'll let you know how it goes.

could be the nail dehydrator or the primer used before the acrylic application. i am a student cosmetologist and i like to research info about nails. i regularly refer to a web site by a world renown nail technician. here are the lnks to the info. I also included the link to what your technician should be doing for safer application. hope this info is helpful. and try to pass the info on..

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

I also have this problem,  my question is how long does the itching last?  Will it go away after a few days?  and if I have the nails removd, will the itching stop immediately?

your allergic to liquid acrylic, same thing happened to me! :( they use what they call diamond now

I wore acrylic nails for years before reacting to them itchy and swelling. Then took them off for years. Recently started liquid gels nails and they are ok BUT. I am an artist and tried acrylic painting. Lost my voice and sinus membranes swelled up. I am now dizzy and do not know what chemicals are in the gel nails but I guess they will have to go and I do not know whether I will ever be able to use acrylic paints. All I know so far is that they contain ammonia and a chemical now in e cigaretes. Does anyone know whet is in liquid gel nails?

Hi can you plse send me the web address or any info regarding to above or any help to what my nail tech s can do to help with the allergic reaction

Can you give me more info on this diamond,....

I have had my Acrylic Nails for almost 35 years and in the past 6 months I started having the same problem, itching, swelling, and super painful nails, I couldn't pick anything up or use my hands they hurt so bad. I started to treat them with oils and polysporin for infection and have not been able to get them off with acid tone, I let them grow get old until they became loose enough to remove, only to find out that it was a serious chemical reaction and burned off all my own fingernails, Now my hands look disgusting and I am scared to find out weather my nails will ever go back to normal!

I have experienced this same thing. To the point where my real nails lifted from the nail bed completely. They eventually reattached but are not the same. Very ridgy and have an odd shape. I used acrylic nails because I have a horrible nail biting problem and it was the only way for my hands to look feminine. I removed the nails after the bad reaction and waited about a year. This time I just did an acrylic overlay with no tips or superglue, and although it's not as bad yet, I'm still having a reaction after 2 fills and next week I'm going to have her sand them off and just shellac my real nails. Hopefully I can leave them alone but it's easier said than done...

The itching will go away after you remove the nails. It's not imeadiate, but fairly soon.

Hi, I had my nails done an I got a reaction. My fingers nails were really sore, stingy, burning an painful, I had them in icy cold water as that's the only thing that would give me a bit of relief besides pain relief. Then i couldn't take anymore an got an appointment with my doctor, an she said I had reaction an I had to have antibiotics 4 times a day for 2 weeks. An I contacted the nail technician an she didn't seem to bothered. As she didn't give me my money back or offer to take the nails off. I was an still am disgusted. Thank you. Thanks Marie.

i have had this problem as well.  the last case I had the nails applied, had no problems for 2 weeks.  Went in for a fill, and within a couple days my skin was cracking.  AFter using a fungal liquid I found in the nail section they seemed to have cleared up in about a week.  then a week later I went for a fill, and back again.  So I'm back to the liquid, as well as athletes foot cream and spray.  they are doing better, and not so sore, but still a little cracked.  This bitter cold weather isn't helping either.