Hello! I am Ben and I am fourteen. I have been recently discovered myopia (-1,5) and my doctor told me I should wear glasses. Since I look like an id**t when I wear them I simply can’t do it. My parents are angry and they keep telling me I will go blind if I don’t wear my eyeglasses. Will -1.5 myopia get worse if I don’t wear glasses?

Hello! Your myopia will most probably get worse no matter if you wear your glasses or not. Eye glasses do not cure myopia and they can’t prevent myopia to increase. You should expect your myopia to stabilize when your reach you 18 or 20 years of age. It is usually so with myopia in school children. But, eye glasses will help you to correct your vision. You will be able to see clear the chalkboard, which is sometimes very important in your learning. Also, you will be able to participate in sports activities more freely since you are going to be able to see the ball, for example, coming from the distance. The vision of distance objects will be clear and you will more self confidence.

Should we wear glasses all the time