Hello! My daughter has been wearing glasses for two years. Since her myopia was discovered early (she was nine year old at the time) I thought that glasses would improve her eye sight. The problem is her myopia is getting worse even when wearing glasses all the time. She has regular check up every six months and her doctor corrects her glasses every time since her myopia is increasing. How is this possible?

Hello! I think your eye doctor hasn’t given you enough information regarding myopia in general. Myopia can’t be prevented from worsening by wearing glasses (even when wearing them all the time). Eye glasses only enable your daughter to see clear, they correct her eye sight but they don’t cure her myopia. It is also common that myopia increases during childhood (sometimes rapidly) and then stabilizes in the age of 18 to 20.

cherri1279 wrote:

That is absolutely right. Wearing glasses won't make your eyes better or worse. But I think it is a good idea to encourage children to wear their glasses all the time if they have myopia. When I got my glasses at the age of 12, the doctor said I should decide when to wear them. As a a rather vain teenager, I hardly ever wore them and became really self conscious about wearing them. As I result, I did badly in school and missed a lot of stuff that needed good vision to enjoy. I finally gave in and started wearing glasses when I was 19. After three months, I was totally used to wearing them, was much happier and self-confident. I just wish my parents had encouraged me to start wearing them full time as soon as I got my first pair.