Hello! I am Mary and I am fourteen. I went to the eye doctor few days ago. Actually my mother took me since she noticed I watch TV from a very short distance. I told her it was normal but she wanted my eyes checked. The eye doctor discovered mild myopia and recommended eye glasses. I have never wear glasses so far. I don’t should I wear them all the time or not. Do you mind wearing contacts or glasses all the time?

Hello! Many children, especially teenagers, refuse to wear eyeglasses because they think that they look less attractive while wearing them. You should wear your glasses as your doctor told you to. You will need some time to adjust yourself to your glasses but after some time wearing them will be completely normal. There are so many nice and modern models of eyeglasses and I think you will be very satisfied. Think of this as a great way to change your outlook.

I got glasses when I was 12, and nobody told me to wear them, and I got a real complex about them. I finally gave in and started wearing them all the time when I was 19. It was a bit stressful for the first few months, but after a bit, it seemed silly that I had not worn them all the time from the first day.

Of course, take the advice of your doctor, but I would encourage you to wear them all the time if you are told it is OK to do so.

After I did start wearing them, my life just got better. I grew more self confident and my social life improved.

Interesting topic. My wife works as a contact fitter for a vision clinic and she tells me theses stories all the time, of younger adults coming in and wanting contacts instead of glasses, because they think glasses will make them look like a nerd. While she attempts to fit them with contacts it doesn't always work in the favor of the client, problems arise such as the client can't learn to handle or touch their eyeball, or it makes them nervous, or the mere fact that a contact is a tiny little slimy piece of plastic, and it is hard to handle. Whereas glasses you simply put them on take them off. Be sure though that glasses are becoming a fad these days and most people who once wore contacts are shifting to glasses, because there trendy sort of speak. There are many glasses on the market that are stylish and add a twist to your appearance also. I also have mayopia and chose glasses, it is imperative to wear them most of the time, your vision can actually grow to repair itself with corrective lenses rather than becmoe worse, and the next thing you know your wearing coke bottle bottoms, now thats not trendy! ;-) o.O