Hi, I am fifty three years old woman. I am going through menopause and this is not at all a pleasant experience. My biggest problems are hot flashes. With everything else I can deal with, but hot flashes are unbearable. My mother has told me that regular walks have helped her when she was going through menopause. Will this help me?

Hello, first of all I have to say I completely understand how you feel. Besides the nervousness I feel on some occasions, hot flashes are the worst part of menopause for me too. You never know when they could happen and they have put me in embarrassing situations on more than one occasion. I was willing to try anything to make them stop. After I had a talk with my doctor I have decided that hormone therapy is not for me and that alternative methods were a better choice. The doctor has said that hormone therapy would give better results, but the side effects were for me very serious. If you want to deal with hot flashes without the use of these drugs I suggest a complete change of life style. Before the menopause I never exercised, but my doctor suggested I start some kind of physical activity. I have chosen aerobics. I suppose that regular brisk walks are also a kind of exercise and that they might help you deal with hot flashes. But, they will not be enough. You will have to start also paying attention to your diet and much more. I suggest you talk to your doctor about this. He will give you more advice.