Hi, I am a parent to a teenage daughter. I am running out on ideas what to do. As I can remember, when I was a teenager there weren't so many problems. She takes ages to decide what to wear, but has no problem if she does not do her homework. When I tell her that her priorities are all backwards she turns her head away and starts to cry. Can you give an advice to a parent how to keep up with these new teenage problems so that I can help my daughter?

I'm a parent of a teenager as well. I've always been pretty strict, but we've come to a good relationship even despite that.

With teenagers its important to set the limits, the expectations, and very clear consequences. You have to make things very clear without any gray areas. At the same time you need to understand that things are different from when we were teens. They face a lot of things we never thought of when we were that age. Remember to reward positive behaviors (such as the school work being done), and to punish within reason the negative behaviors (she fails a class, doesn't do homework, she looses privileges etc).

Hi, I can understand what you are dealing with. However, you must realize that teenagers now days are under a lot of stress. The life is just not the same any more. If your daughter is only complaining about her clothes or hair, you should bee so worried. Teenagers have a lot going trough their heads. You should try to find out what is really bordering your daughter. She won't tell you herself, so try talking to her. You don't have to ask her questions, in fact it would be better if you do all the talking at fist. Try explaining why education and school are more important than clothes and make up. She must build confidence in you. That way she will confide in you when she has a serious problem. If you follow these advices, I am sure that everything will be alright; for you and your daughter.