since my running has been cut back, :( i have lifted consistently for weeks now. mostly low weights, 4 sets of 15 --some upper body and then higher weight for the quads.

anyone experience weight loss from lifting. somewhere in my mind i associate loss with aerobics only.....this is new.

I think if anything RR, you may actually gain weight, but in the form of muscle. Weight lifting does burn calories but not in the same way as an aerobic exercise does. With the high repetitions that you are doing you most likely are just toninig what you already have. If you are looking to get stronger, raise the weights and decrease the repetitions.

You can (should) gain muscle mass from lifting. Muscles burn calories just by exisiting and typically, they will burn fat to fuel themselves. While your weight might not change because you're gaining muscle while losing fat, you should notice difference in the way your clothes fit because muscle is more dense than fat. I'm probably close to the heaviest I've ever been but I don't look like it.

And really, who cares what you weigh as long as you look good?

pound-wise, i am the same -- maybe even heavier. but people keep telling me i look thinner :eek2: i think they're just scared of me now cuz i am mrs. schwarznegger.

my clothes do fit looser; i just can't understand it cuz i thought running was doing all that for me. oh well, i'm not complaining just surprised at the caloric burnoff for lifting i guess.

ladies---lift your butts off!!!!!

:LOL:
I've kind of got out of my routine of lifting, but when I did it seemed to compliment the running. I never noticed any weight loss from it, but I didn't lift for strength but to stengthen the muscles around my knees...since I'm having trouble with my left one and for toning.
:)

Aerobic exercise has the capacity for burning MORE calories due to one's ability to sustain the activity longer, but burning calories is burning calories.
The 3 best ways to lose fat weight:
1. Decrease the amount of calories taken in. Specifically the 'c**p' kind.
2. Increase the amount of aerobic exercise.
3. Do a consistent weight training program to increase the density of your muscles. The more dense your muscles are, the more calories you burn at rest.
For example: Two women; both the same age, height and weight. One is an office worker who sits at her desk for 8 hours a day. The other is an Olympic-caliber athlete. Put the two of them together at the same table for an hour (talking about shoes) and the Olympic-caliber athlete will burn more calories during that hour than the office worker.

Your clothes are prolly looser because your muscles are more toned, tightened up, and that's a good thing. Don't obsess so much over WHY you look thinner, just be glad that you do (although feeling better is a much healthier goal) and look forward to the tank-top and shorts weather that eventually is coming.....