Hi folks!!! Can anybody give me a piece of advice??? I’m interested if I do cardio just before weight-training, will tons of muscle melt away from my frame or not? One of my friends told me something like that few days ago and I just want to know weather it was true or not… Thanks

NO, he’s not right. Cardio before a workout is just fine. I know for that theory but it is not truth. Sometimes people tend to play smart and make some new laws... One of those is that you lose glycogen during weight training and therefore cardio is forced into fat-burning mode is a common one. Total rubbish. The fact is, your ability to recover is more based on what happens in the 24 hours after the workout than the workout itself!!! Even though your body is using protein during exercise it is not dissolving the muscle. However, your best guide is you. If you feel progress by doing so, I see no reason for quitting!!!

I agree with schifano - cardio before weightlifting can is good and even recommended...

I was told by a personal trainer if you want to lose weight, do weight lifting first to burn stored fat, then do cardio. It is good to do both, but to lose weight, cardio last will burn nothing but fat.

my advice...cardio is best to do after weight training...however, running a lap or 2(up to a half mile) before your workouht is good to get the blood pumping and heart rate up before a workout

Cardio is better after weight training if your goal is to gain muscle.

My goal is to lose weight and tone my body. I have been doing cardio before I lift. I was wondering if Im doing that correctly or if I should be lifting first then doing cardio?

If you want to gain serious muscle....do no cardio. Train right, eat right and rest............rest. No drugs or boose.

You need to do the cardio last, but a good 10 minute warm up before the weights is essential to warming your core a good stretch is also recommended. If you want to burn fat this is the best course of action.

you mean if you want to be totally weak but look like a muscle bound freak. Cardio= heart. No matter how bulging your muscles are, not doing cardio means you wont have any stamina. So if you want to look like a prize winning bull standing on a stage then fine. But if you actually want to be in good shape, cardio is the way to go.

if i do hard cardio for 20 min before and after my lifting sessions will this hurt my gains? or will it help me burn fat?

A little bit of cardio as warm up before lifting is great to lift your heart rate and it warms up your body before you shock it with lifting. If you want a balanced routine, you should do most of your cardio after your lift. Its ideal to split it up between a warm up (5-10 minutes) and 15-30 minutes after your lift depending on how much you are lifting and how many muscle groups you choose to work out. I got this routine from my friend who is a personal trainer and while it takes a lot of work, it has gotten me in shape over the last few months ever since I haven't had time to go hiking as much as I want. Hope this helps!

it is good and recomended as it gets your blood pumping.

Actually weight lifting utilizes sugar as the primary fuel and not fat. Fat is used for long term energy thus it is used for cardio training. Muscle tissue burns fat every single moment of every single day, thus the more muscle tissue you have the more fat burning potential you have.

Hicksville, New York.

I would personally recommend cardio after a workout, your first energy system used it ATP and Creatine Phosphte which is used for the short burst of lifting (as in weight lifting), if you do cardio previous to your weight lifting you will use your first energy source as in your CP, therefor you will have less energy for weight lifting. Now unless your diet is very bad you will not lose muscle of course, but if you have a normal diet that consists of proteins, carbs, etc then you will still have fine results if you start with cardio. I hope this helps, I start with weights everyday, and if I feel like having a bit of extra energy after a couple hours of weights I run a bit.