I'm not sure if we are all talking about the same thing I have. I have been using Afrin for two years and the problem is that during the day (at least once) my nose gets clogged (usually one nostril at a time) and I use Afrin to clear it up. It works every time but I have no idea what to tell people. I didn't no this was considered an addiction. I really would like to come off of the Afrin but I am worried about having a clogged nose. I learned through this site to do it one nostril at a time, which I will start soon. Can anyone relate to me and for some reason I feel like the nose doctor would not understand my problem. Are you guys having a clogged nose (not from a cold) and using Afrin to clear it up? (I seriously thought I was the only person to have this all year around until this site). Please answer if you can. I appreciate it.

While not a true addiction, you have become dependent on nose spray. You are experiencing a rebound effect that can occur if you use over-the-counter nasal decongestant sprays regularly. After a few days of using this type of nasal spray, your nose may become less responsive to the effects of the spray.

As a result, you may need to use more and more nose spray to control congestion or your congestion may worsen if you stop using it. 

Some people have broken the habit by discontinuing the spray in one nostril at a time or by progressively diluting the product with saline solution.

Simply stopping cold turkey will usually defuse the rebound cycle in a week or two, but a lot of patients cannot resist the urge to spray in the meantime.

Some doctors will put a patient on a five-day course of an oral steroid like prednisone that will usually relieve the stuffiness until the rebound is gone.

It is also a good idea to keep the nasal passages moisturized with saline sprays or nasal irrigation devices to help the tissues recover. 

Most importantly, if you are trying to stop, throw out all the bottles of nasal spray you have. You must eliminate all temptation to spray.