HI, I had a nose job 3 months ago, and since then I have putrid smell coming out of the right nostril. My plastic surgeon has no clue what could that be. I have done CT scan and the other doctor said the result was ok. I still have this bad smell and I am afraid that something is wrong??? The smell is very strong at times even my husban agrees that it is dicusting! Can anyone help. I am not in pain and have no bleeding or swelling around that area. It is inside towards the tip of the nose and it feels as if something is not heeling properly!#
Thank you all!

Hi There,

I have the same thing, I just had my rhinoplasty done 2 weeks ago. I don't think anyone else can smell it, but I can. It's kinda gross. Have you heard anything as to what the deal is?

I had a rhinoplasty a month ago, and I have the same problem. It's only in one nostril, and I don't think anyone else can smell it. Just me. I think it might have something to do with dried blood up in the nasal cavity (just a guess, because was up there when it was healing). Either that or dried... nasal mucous :| I'm hoping it will go away with time. But until then, you should try irrigating it with some water (or the salt irrigation your surgeon might have had you do). Just squirt some of that in your nose to see if it helps. I'll be doing that later today, because the smell is getting on my nerves. Also, use some wet q-tips to clean inside your nose with to see if that helps. :-) I hope it'll work for me too!

People
That smell in the nostrils aint normal people, i think you should talk with your doctor once again, because my friend had the same problem and when she visited the doctor, he stated that the smell is normal, but then gradually the smell grew bigger and bigger and it was extremely gross. Therefore, she visited Back home in order to check it with a good surgeon thats where she was told her surgery was gone wrong and she needed a second one in order to make the correction.

Actually having a bad smell some weeks after many nasal ops (rhino and septoplasties, sinus surgeries etc.) is very normal.
It is caused by the accumulation of mucus in the nose due to a reduced mobility of the “mucus blanket” within the nose. A healthy nose secretes a around a cup of mucus a day, which is propelled into the back of the throat by the nasal lining cells. After surgery, the physiology of the nose takes four to six weeks to come back to normal, but in the interim you can clear the mucosal blanket with intranasal saline sprays.

I had rhinoplastry 2 years ago and still get that bad smell in my nose! What does this mean?

I have the same exact thing!!! right nostril only. seems like the mucous smells funny...actually terrible! I had a nose job 2 months ago. what is this????

Hi, I had a nose job 6 years ago and had the same stink from mainly the right nostril, had a scan and spent a fortune on specialists with no results, then 1 night I felt something in my nose and when I blew my nose a piece of thread or hair the length of my finger nail came out, it could not have been a hair as it was too long, so I am convinced it was a stitch or at least something from the operation, since that nght the smell has not returned.
I am convinced these doctors know what the problem is but wont admit it because they would have to redo the surgery to get out whatever was left in there at the time of the op.
They all say they have never heard of this problem but that can not be the case when so many of us that had nose jobs are complaining of this bad smell.
I hope the smell is gone for good as it really does ruin your social life.

I had my nosejob 4 months ago in Iran, in beginning i didnt have that bad smell. It stardet after one month and its getting worse.. especially after taking a shower the smell gets worse.

Hi ,

I had the same problem ,that was why I found this thread to work out what's happening .
I had rhinoplasty 2 months ago, and started to notice the smell from week 3.

I was put on a course of antibiotic but it didn't help. Just when I decided to find a ENT specialist
to do more checks , one morning I blew my nose and found this tiny suture came out from my nose !
It is definitely an internal suture which wasn't removed for some reasons .

The odor miraculously dissipated after the suture has been blown out.

So people, it's very likely the smell is caused by some foreign objects, residue from the surgery such as sutures, packing etc
that has been left inside and now get infected, hence the foul smell.

I had a rhinoplasty about 4 years ago..i notice the weird smell in only the left nostril when i rub my nose and breathe in..its gross like cheese smell. i cant stand it..should i go to an ENT or another plastic surgeon with this problem??? sick!

my septoplasty was 5 weeks ago. For the past 2 weeks I have been feeling an akward smell as many of you described. Cleaning my nostrils with saline solution would not help much.

Yesterday in the shower, bothered about the situation, I washed my nose with plenty of water and blew hard. A stone of dried mucus and and dried blood of about 1.5cm came out. I couldn't even imagine it was there, as I was not feeling it. It must have been higher up my nose cavity, somewhere where cotton swabs weren't reaching.

I am hoping that will be the end of the bad smell.

Anyone experienced this?

Hi Everyone,

I had the same thing for several months. When I went to see the doctor he said that I might be allergic to the type of material the dissolvable stitch is made up of. It likely got infected, but all I could detect was the smell. Eventually my body rejected it to the point where it came out! After it came out the problem disappeared! Thank GOD!

You have a FUNGAL infection. it is anaerobic. No antibiotic will work on it. Do some more searching online. Search the following things I mention. Get a Neti Pot and or Nasal lavage or Nasal irrigator or a Water pic. Nasal saline washes. Do these several times a day. Only saline or salt water that is similar to our body ph. Eye contact water is ok, at warm body temp is best. Keep rinsing, it may take months or longer. It gets better.

Read more about it here
***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Most doctors don't even know about this. My MD just told me to do the above stuff (which i did only once a month or so) and if it didn't get better then to use a anti fungal...but it is getting better with simple rinsing rather than drugs for 6 weeks.

I've been using a Nasal Spray also Xlear (pronounced 'clear'). It has a natural ingredient called xylitol.

Good luck be diligent.
Ramona

The smell is from the foreign object (stitches) in your skin allowing bacteria to cause the foul smell. My plastic surgeon recommended "Neosporin ointment Extra Strength" I use a Q-tip slather some of that ointme and "Voila" smell is gone, of course if you stop that oitment the smell will arise again. Just do it daily and wait till the stitch comes off. XD