Couldn't find what you looking for?

TRY OUR SEARCH!

Last nite we had a bunch of company over to celebrate my nephew's b-day. I decide to make a hugh sirloin roast, so far so good, right?
A few minutes before i took the roast out of the oven i prepared the veggies, mashed the potatoes, and did the last few steps before we sat down to a wonderful meal.
I took the roast out of the oven and transferred it to a carving plater. I failed to mention that i used a pyrex baking dish. We all love home made gravey and i make it sooo yummy, so i use the drippings from the meat for that. Under normal conditions i would pour the drippings from the glass baking dish to a pot and continue that way, but i was rushed at the last minute and decided to take a short cut, wrong...
I set the pyrex glass dish on the burner to bring the liquid up to a boil to begin the thickening process. I got the thickener ready and poured it into the boiling liquid. The second i set the metal stirring spoon into the glass dish, it EXPLODED!!!! OMG, i had small chards of glass all over the kitchen and flying gravey every where. The glass went into my potatoes and into all the other stuff i had prepared and was sitting on the back burners. I found pieces of glass in my cats water bowl on the other side of kitchen.
I just stood there, frozen, still holding the spoon! My company came running into the kitchen as they thought some one shot me, that is how it sounded.
I was so stressed and couldn't figure out what just happened. I should have known that you don't put pyrex on top of the stove, only inside of the oven. My dinner was a total bust, we could not eat anything. My sister in law felt so bad for me that she suggested that we all go out for dinner, which sounded good to me.
We left the mess for later and went out to eat and when we got home, the family and friends told me to just sit in the yard and they would clean up the kitchen. Within an hour, the kitchen was totally cleaned up and we sat around an ate the desert i prepared, that was in the fridge during the incident.
After we had all calmed down we discussed what could have really happened to me. Freak accidents happen all the time, and that glass was so forceful it could have hit me and gone into my chest or someplace else. Sheesh, that scares me for sure. I have learned my lesson. Don't ever use a pyrex dish on the stove top. o.O

Loading...

When I was in high school chemistry class, we were required to wear eye goggles for protection. I had seen quite a few Pyrex test tubes and flasks explode during the class. Maybe you should wear eye protection next time you use Pyrex cookwares.
Reply

Loading...

I only have small Pyrex dish and only use it when it's really needed. So never had this kind of accident. But bbfeet you could get really hurt back there. Do you have any scratch marks? I can't imagine what a shock that was. But why did it only explode when you put the spoon inside?


At least good thing was that desert was in the fridge. :-)
Reply

Loading...

You poor thing! I am so glad to hear that you didn't injure yourself at least because you really could've somehow hurt yourself. Pyrex does take a great amount of heat but it doesn't do so well with direct heat, it's true. To be perfectly honest I only use pyrex for cooking casseroles or something like lasagna. For roasts, I use a metal or ceramic dish instead, although I usually prefer metal. I'm so glad you're okay though!
Reply

Loading...

HI
I really never cooked in ceramic dish. I usually use metal.
Is it worth of buying? If you can explain some benefits of ceramic dish it would be nice.
Thank you.
Reply

Loading...

Ceramic dishes are great. They don't show off if you burned the roast and they generally radiate heat better so you can put together a better lasagna in them than in a glass dish. I don't really waste my time with glass. I can't speak for bluedog but that's how I feel on it.
Reply

Loading...

Oh! I also forgot to mention. I think that PYrex actually makes ceramic dishes too, so they are very good for that sort of thing. Hopefully this won't happen again!
Reply

Loading...