Hi Everyone and Anyone! I have a BIG problem! I suffer from 2 genetic disorders, where I am in pain 24/7 and have been on disability for about 3 years now! Before this I was super woman - cooking, cleaning, kids, shopping, lawn care etc. My husband - poor thing - works 12 hour shifts and has taken on 2 jobs - to cover my lost wages! The thing is I do NOT have the stamina for making dinners for him which is AWFUL! The poor guy comes home - is SHATTERED - then he makes dinner! It is just tearing me apart that this poor guy is now having to make a dinner!

Do any of you know any good sites or ideas for me to help and perhaps make dinners etc? I am a FANTASTIC Chili and Chicken Ceasar Maker - BUT I sit down the entire time! As I can't stand longer that a couple of mintues! Is there anyone else out there who has a similar experience and how they handled it? It is REALLY upsetting me - as a woman and a mother and wife! Thankyou for your replies and ideas!

Hi Bambi...i love how you help others so i hope i can help you :-D 2 quick and easy tips!! invest in a slow cooker/crock pot...and buy a lot of already done stuff, so the hard work is done for you! Like buy a lot of frozen veggies, they've already been cut,chopped and pealed ready for you to use...great thing to make is stir fry...just cook some chicken breats, poor in frozen veggies, add the sauce then cover and walk away! and 5 minute rice goes great with it. Stews are a great thing to do in the slower cooker, as well as a roast! just put in what you need and let it do all the work for ya, so when your husband comes home its ready to eat! again, just add some little baby potates that don't need to be pealed and their small so no cutting is needed, add the beef, add some frozen veggies and gravey and your all set! pizza is another great one for the kids, you can buy ready made crusts, all you have to buy is pizza sauce, shredded chesse some pepperoni and add your favourite veggies and pop it in the oven..takes 5 minutes to prepare and you can do it all while sitting at the kitchen table. if you make chicken one night, save any left overs or make extra and use them for wraps the next day. Chili is a great idea! Also, get the kids involved in whatever they can do..any pealing or chopping of stuff. You can also do chicken skewers are great too with veggies to put on the bbq along with corn on the cob...pasta is also easy..and you can save some of the ground beef to use for tacos! or freeze the left over sauce to use the next time you go to make pasta.

i hope some of this helps you, i'm sure you"ve already done a lot of this...if i have anything else i will let you know...the food network has some great receipes, although some are not always so eay to make. let me know how you make out!

Actually the crock pot is a FANTASTIC idea! Does it come with instructions?!!!! 8-| XD XD XD Honestly I'm NOT kidding about that! I thought we had an Uncle Boyardee, Grandfather Oscar Myer, and Aunty Betty Crocker!!!!! ;-) XD XD XD I REALLY want to cook, but I don't have a CLUE!!! When I watch Food network I am Like "WHY Would they want to do this!!!?" LOL I made a soup, years ago, for hubby and I, it was a chicken soup, so I took it to work with me the next day and I was eating it and looked down and said "Heh I don't remember putting "Cauliflower" in this soup"! I put a spoon full in my mouth and POOFFF!!!!! Powder came flying out of my mouth!!!! IT was CORNSTARCH! I tried and tried to thicken the sauce!!!!! ;-) XD XD XD THAT is what I'm working with here! PLUS the pain!

So with a crockpot I can buy the stuff and just throw it in!!!? Are there crockpot recipes!!!? I feel SO stupid right now! Now I know how young people feel asking me sex questions!!!! 8-| Another story to give you some insight! I was suppsed to do snacks for my youngest sons preschool, so this woman comes up to me and said "Can you make the children Rice Krispie Squares!?" o.O So what followed is the GODS Truth! I replied "It's been a long time since I made those, remind me how long I bake them for again?"!!!! o.O XD XD XD She turns to me with this face o.O "You don't know how to make Rice Krispie Squares!!!!!?" I was mortified! So I made Jello Jigglers instead!!! XD XD XD I am PATHETIC at cooking! BUT I want to do it for him, I am just not skilled at it! In anyway shape or form!

I am nervous about premade salads, we have had a lot of lysteria outbreaks with prepackaged salads! I LOVE doing salads in teh summer, but my husband works as in construction for his 1st job and a tow truck driver for his 2nd! We eat a LOT of bake at home pizzas, we order on line a LOT - which I want to not do, as it is kicking us in the bank book!

That's a great idea with the chicken as I just sent out my eldest for 2 chicken dinners from Safeway - so I usually just let the family eat the same meal the next day! So that is a great thing! When you say freeze the sauce - so what happens with that? Do I cook a whole bunch of spaghetti sauce or even chili and then what do I do so I can put it in the freezer!?

Who are you by the way?!! Thankyou for helping me and hopefully helping me further! I really want to change things here - health wise too!

Ya we bought a crock pot years ago and its wonderful...i can put stuff in it, turn it on low and go to work and come home to the house smelling great and dinner ready to be eaten! its wonderful! you can even get some meatballs and throw it in there with some sauce and put it over rice or pasta. The crock pot we bought does come with instructions, it even came with some great reciepes, if only i remember where i put them! but i'm postive there are tons of crock pot reciepes online!

another great summer idea are smoothies!! all you need is some plain ice cream or frozen yougurt and a bag of your favourite mixed fruit and just blend it all together in the blender sometimes i add some milk too...or you can skip the icec cream and pour in some orange juice! (sometimes i let the fruit thaw too, or put it in warm water)

for the corn startch...if you put a little, like maybe a teasoup full and add a bit of water and stir it and then add it in the sauce, that can help...but flour is also a great way to thicken sauce..its all trial and error!

caserols are also great...throw some left overs all together.

when i do a roast in the crock pot i put it in and and add some seasoning, then when its half way ready i add some potatoes and carrots in it.

you don't have to do pre made salads, i never do, just buy some ice burge or ramaine and wash it and rip it into bits, and instead of cutting carrots (as there hard which might make it more difficult for you) once you peel the c**p off the carrots then just keep peeling it over and over into strips and add it to the salad. you can do pasta salads, just boil some water, add your favourite pasta (like bow ties or something big) then steam some veggies and add a salad mix (its a package made for pasta salades) add it with some oil and there ya go. or roast some potates and add some italian salad dressing over it. it doesn't have to be extravagant to be healthy and yummy :-D

breafast for dinner is always fun too...like eggs or pancakes.

or if you like cabbage, you can grate it and add some mayo and peprica(sp?) to make coleslaw...or shredd it (take a knife and grase it, your son can do this) and put it in a pan..add oil (i put a lot kinda), salt, pepper, chili powered and seasoning, i finley cut up green pepper and peel carrots and just turn the burner on med/high and keep moving it around till it tender it will stem..taste like a spring roll!! so good!!

i had no idea how to cook, but i work in a group home and i learned a lot from other people and experimenting...one of the works makes something call california potates...so good!! and bad for you!! she gets tater tots(defrosted) or like home fires or hashbrowns and adds two cans of cream of chicken or cream of celery and two cans of cream of mushroom soup (thought i hated mushrooms but you can't even taste it) and a small container of sour cream...mix it all together and add some shredded cheese on top and bake it in the oven till it looks cooked and ready.(i believe thats all there is in it!) about 30minutes or more.

you live in canada? M&M has great hambergers and chicken burgers you just have to put on the BBQ...and great steaks too!!

don't be afarid to experiement...i was and sometimes it was a hit and miss

i make pasta sauce all the time..usually too much! so i let it cool down, put it in a container and freeze it and then get it out when i want to use it...or you can make some ground beef...set some aside in a bowel and put it in the fridge so its ready to use the next night.

if your son is a teenager...sometime they might think its fun and a "man" thing to BBQ

Thankyou honey! So when you put the chicken in the crock pot, does it steam itself or does it roast!? Also regarding sauces, say I make a spaghetti sauce or Chili? I take It I have to let it cool down first right? THEN what do I need to put it in the freezer - special bags etc and how long can I keep it? The carrot thing is AWESOME! I have a special board for cutting, BUT the knife is like using a stick! Don't worry I've experimented a LOT!!! 8-| Like adding |Fondue cheese to a Lasagna - FYI! DON'T!!!!! Thankyou! I will pass on the tater totts! But thankyou anway!

well the chicken has a lot of jucies itself so with the lid it will steam and keep it nice and moist and tender...i add a bit of water on the bottom, just like you would in the oven...helps keep it moist. you can just put it in any container (thats well sealed) with a lid and pop it in the freezer... i'm unsure as to how long exactly it can stay in there but i always pull it out the next week or so...but like a lot of frozen things they can stay fresh for up to a month or more normally. Ya investing in a good knife would be good, makes things a lot easier! i need some new ones too, mine are dull too!! you can make soups and stuff to in the crock pot, and chili.

-recipes ...copy and past this...great ideas!!

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

THANKYOU! I just saw the chicken pot pie one! I think I can do that!!! I will have to get a crock pot though! So hopefully soon my hubby will have meals waiting for him! We used to have a grocery delivery service here then they pulled it! It was great, you ordered on line then someone picked it for you, and then they delivered it to your door with door debit or cash! That would have been wonderful wouldn't it? Especially with this Betty Crocker Grocery list - which I think is a great idea! Hopefully they will start it up again!

There are some grocery delievery services..not sure if their pricey though... and not sure if they offer it where you live but, visit CanadianFineFoods ... or ... or again it all depends on your area, but if you google it you might come up with some good afforable options.

THANKYOU!!!! I will give it a try! I don't know why they stopped - it was through Coop - we paid for the delivery charge! so I didn't get it! so I will try!

also...a friend of mine was diagnoised with ms 5 years ago...she started to take daily injections and began to eat a gluten (sp?) free diet, along with eating a lot of all nautral foods and some organic foods...shes been in remission for 3 years now!! just some insight!

Hi Bambi,

Hi am a 30 year old mother of 2 in a similar situation to you. I have cancer and find it really hard to cook and all. Lately when I feel able to tackle cooking I cook 2 meals in one go and lots of it!!!! So tonight I made chicken casserole and stew! ( I sit on a high stool that you can adjust) I try to use fresh stuff because I find it tastes better but if I m really bad I use frozen veg. It is easy that way, as you need the same vegetables and potatoes for both dishes, The chicken casserole in the oven and the stew on the hob. I find crock pots and things like that too hard to clean so I use good old pots that go in the dishwasher :-) I also bought some great containers made of aluminium with a glass top to see inside. I tried plastic containers but the food didn't look too attractive in it and nobody wanted to eat my meals, fussy lot! I put the meals in my lovely containers when they are ready and voila!!!! 4 dinners in one go!!! I do the same with curries: yellow chicken curry and green curry, bolognaise sauce or other pasta sauces etc... ;-) I am thinking of getting a freezer cause the gang here will probably be fed up of eating the same things all the time so that way I could vary the food a bit more during the week :-) I also buy some ready made lasagne, pizzas and fresh pastas (they cook quicker :-) and nice soups in cartons but I find it gets really expensive to buy other types of meals for a familly. our next option if really too tired is to go out for dinner!

I get my groceries delivered, so much easier, I can't drive at the moment and Hubby works long shifts too so he can't do the shopping. it might seem a little expensive at first but once you get used to the products it gets easier and cheaper :-)

Good luck with everything ;-)

ps: Does anyone know what other dihes I could make in one pot? don't want to be using 2 or 3 pots it s too much work.

;-) ;-)

Hi lilly! God Bless! The problem I'm having is the ready made meals - lasagna, pizza etc! You know what I mean?! They ALL taste the same and after years of it is almost not palatable! I have just found out from a friend that I can get groceries delivered - which is great! There was a organic grocery store that did it, but they went under! Due to my and my youngest son illnesses I want us to eat as healthy as possible! I've been looking into a greehouse - to grow lettuce and tommatos etc. Also my ex brother in law just dropped off a top of the line barbecue for us - I think he is trying to get back with my sister!! 8-| XD So I looked into those meals that you put in a tin package - you can cook fish and veg etc. So as soon as we get it hooked up I'm going to look into dinners on the barbeque! I still have to get a crockpot - as guest mentioned - which is a great idea! In certain areas of Canada - big cities etc - they have dinner clubs! Where you pay a certain amount of monies, they supply ALL the ingredients allready cut up etc, and you follow the recipes - for preperation! So then you go there for about 1 hour and you put ALL the contents into individual big freezer bags, and then have dinners for each day of the week!! That's a great idea isn't it? I wish they had it here!

The stool idea is great! I sit on a shorter seat, and have to reach up to cut the veggies etc. I'm the chili, stew, queen! But there are only so many of these you can cook - you know what I mean right? And buying the already done meals is SO expensive - I wish they had some good things for disabled people! This is great though - getting different ideas from others! Thankyou and I wish you the best!

Hi bambi,

Yes the ready made meals are the last option here too :-) but handy for those days where you just can't face cooking! I use fresh veg too and I would love to grow my own but I am just not able at the moment. I m sure I ll find a lazy way though :-) that's what I seem to be doing creating ways to do the normal things the lazy way!!!! Well you got to do what you got to do! My nutritionist said I should get watercress and pt it into everything, but I didn't get around to buying it yet... I have a bread machine as well. I make the dough into it and cook the bread in the oven as it looks nicer :-) I love the idea of the cooking thing and put meals into bags and freeze them for the week, Maybe I could try that at home, Bags would be small enough to fit in my small freezer. just need to find the energy to do this!

all the best ;-)

ps: What is your recipe for stew?

Stewing beef! 8-| ;-) , 1 large spanish onion, 2 parsnips, 6 carrots, 2 small bags of tiny yellow potatoes, 4 whole garlic - I LOVE garlic, so I cut up ALL the cloves - 2 celery stalks! I brown the meat, onion and ALL the garlic, with olive oil and add my herbs and spices - like worchestire and powders etc. we also have this vegetable powder (it's from Hungary) that is awesome! Then I put the veg's into the pot and start boiling them, then I add gravy mix and let that stew for a bit, then when the gravy is thick I add the meat and onions etc. I let ALL of it stew for about an hour!

I will tell you my famous Chili recipe! 2 large packages of lean ground beef, 1 large lean ground pork, 4 garlic buds, 3 big hot sausages, 1 spanish onion, 2 stalks celergy, Stop Light peppers (Red Yellow Green), 4 large tins of Kidney beans, 4 large tins of Baked Beans with just tomato sauce (heinz), 1 can of beer, 1 can of mushrooms - or about 5 fresh, 3 big cans of crushed tomatoes, 1 large jar of garlic salsa, 2 packets of chili seasoning, about 1tsp of curry powder!

1. Brown the meats, olive oil, garlic, onion
2. In a large conatiner add ALL the cans, and the chopped veggies - peppers, celery, and add the salsa start that boiling
3. add all the meat, garlic onions, then add the chili seasoning, let it all stew then close to the end add half the beear and then drink the rest! ;-)

We only have 1 store for watercress! I LOVE that - and it is TOTALLY different than the one in England! Ours are MASSIVE - tastes the same too!