Alright, I'm a guy, 5ft8 & 92kg

I'm off to uni in september, so thought my free time in the summer, about 3 months, would be a good time to really try and slim down & tone up. I've never been happy with my weight but attempts at sorting it out never lasted more than a week, when on a friday night all the work would be ruined by 10 pints and a kebab.

I've always been quite bulky, so thought my best bet would be to try and aim to be athletic build rather than skinny. So have been concentrating more on weights than cardio, but low weight, more reps. This has meant in the last couple of weeks my weight on the scale has not changed, but am starting to see a difference in my body.

THE PLAN

Everyday I use an exerise bike til I get bored which is usually around 40-60mins, on a fat burn program, which is 200m on easy resistance, than 400m on hard, then repeat.

I then alternate between these two weight programs, with one day off a week, trying to work all main muscle areas, and increasing reps each week.

DAY 1

2 x 40 sit-ups
8 x 10 Lateral Raises (Dumbell at 12lbs)
2 x 40 pec flys (Dumbell at 8lbs)

DAY 2

2 x 40 Press Ups (Push ups)
2 x 40 Biceps Curls (Dumbell at 12lbs)
8 x 10 military press (Barbell at 40lbs)

In terms of my diet, I now try to drink 2 litres of water a day, and have cut down portion size, I also usually eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast and lunch now, and choose an apple or banana if I'm hungry between meals.

It would be great to hear your views, tips and advice.

Cheers

It sounds like you are doing pretty well but I think that if you are seroius about losing some fat then don't waste your time doing cycling for 60 minutes. Have you ever heard of HIIT? You can google it if you want but it's an exercise program that will help you lose weight faster, or at least fat. I think it might help you out more than wasting all that time on the bike. I think that your muscle plan looks just fine though. What do you think?

well the first stone came off really easily, in about 2-3 weeks, but now my weight hasn't moved for a couple of weeks, I'm hoping this is due to more muscle making up for lost fat, but still got about 6 weeks left so fingers crossed

That is pretty typical that you lose a lot of weight at first. I think now you have to ask yourself now--do you want to lose fat or gain muscle first? Because it is hard to do both at the same time, and it is much easier to concentrate on one. When you think about it, you have to eat extra calories to get muscle but eat less calories to lose weight. You can't do both at the same time! SO what do you think? Which do you prefer?

bluedog wrote:

Guest wrote:

I'm more focused on losing fat, but still doing weights just to keep my body & metabolism ticking

Guest wrote:

bluedog wrote:

Guest wrote:

That's really good to at least use the weights to help burn a little extra fat. The problem is that it's really hard to build muscle while you lose fat so they often are at odds with each other. I'm glad to hear the weight is coming off so quickly for you! Congratulations, by the way :)