Will weight workouts with low reps (6-8) hinder my running??
or the inverse = will high reps (10-15) enhance my running?

I don't run to lose weight but to stay fit and w/out my legs

I would probably go for the higher reps w/lower weights. Most of the work out plans that I've looked at for runners/triathletes, focused mostly on higer reps. Most of the plans work through phases and focues on one specific area of lifting.

interesting stuff - Thanks John

I'm trying to develop muscle on my arms for the track season remaining (June/Jul/Aug/Sept). I've been told to go for low reps, but that's specifically to develop muscle. I think for runners in general, high reps are better.
Actually, I'm finding it isn't working anyway. I have really, really long arms that are virtually the same width from my wrist up to shoulder and maybe they are just not designed to be strong or something. (Yes, they do freak people out! ha ha) Having said that, I started off having to use the machines with no actual weights on them, and now I'm lifting 50lbs on most of them. Although that is nowhere near what I do on my leg weights.

Yes.

PH
:D

Thanks again - i forgot to add that that was one of those dumb questions / yet the answer was obvious / yet i was still compelled to ask.

i appreciatre it

What phase are you in re: to that w/out?????

i appreciatre it

I was in week 14 Power/Endurance phase and had seen nice gains up to that point. Since I got injured and couldn't run much, I started lifting just about everyday upper and lower on alternating days. Once my running picks back up, I'm going back to the tri-newbies plan. It really works well with my schedule and I'm seeing the gains that I'm wanting to.

PH
:D

Hi everyone. i'm about to start lifting and this program seems like it's pretty good (better than nothing, i'm sure!). What I can't figure out is, do you do all 14 exercises 2-3 times/week? or do you split it up into multiple sessions?

OH, I think I totally misinterpreted it then.

I had it down as 3 sets of 12 reps (for each of the 14 exercises), for each workout

?
?
?
?
?
?
?

track girl,

after looking at it again, i think it makes sense. the template has 3 checkboxes, so i think the first phase looks like this:
Week 1:
Day 1: 1 set of 12 for each of the 14 exercises
Day 2: 1 set of 12 for each of the 14 exercises
Day 3: 1 set of 12 for each of the 14 exercises

Week 2:
Day 1: 2 set of 12 for each of the 14 exercises
Day 2: 2 set of 12 for each of the 14 exercises
Day 3: 2 set of 12 for each of the 14 exercises

and so on. makes sense now.

track girl,

Week 1:

Week 2:

and so on. makes sense now.

That's the way I did it.

Hang in there sinclair!

PH
:D

now if I could just make it to the gym...

Buy a weight bench at Sports Authority (or whatever is close to you).

I've got two, myself. One at work and one at home. Never an excuse not to hit the weights. I've got a Y membership, too. You'd think I'd be buff, but I'm not.

PH
:D

PH-

Good idea, but not for those of us who live in NYC! Unless you know of a place that sells mini weight benches made for 400 sq ft apartments ;)

Seriously, my gym is just across the street from the office. It's not a matter of convenience, it's just a matter of finding the time while building from 65 to 100+ miles/week. my goal is to be able to squeeze in weights at lunchtime 2-3 times/week, starting today...more to avoid injury and improve form than to get "built"...of course, my girlfriend would love that too!

Thanks for the advice,
Sinclair

Seriously, my gym is just across the street from the office. It's not a matter of convenience, it's just a matter of finding the time while building from 65 to 100+ miles/week. Of running? 8O 8O 8O PH :D