I am 15 years old and weigh 120ish..I am 5'7 and play lacrosse.

I want to get stronger with lifting weights but i think its not helping me. I been lifting 40 pounds of sandweights =/ with 10 reps with curls and chin ups. But it seems that im losing muscle mass am i suppose to keep it up? I get lazy most days and just not work out.

Hi:

It sounds like you are not taking in enough calories to support your activity level. My son had the same problem. You can't build mass without nourishment. Consult with someone who knows about nutrition/calories and building mass. If you're burning more calories than you are taking in, you will lose weight and you will probably feel tired and exhausted. You won't enjoy your exercise routine/hobby. What you are describing as laziness is probably weakness. You will get sick if you don't balance your exercise with your nutritional practices. I'm sure that things will turn around for you if you make those changes. Consult with someone at a gym. Any fitness expert can advise you about a good plan for yourself. Don't continue on your current path, you will likely get sick. Educate yourself and enjoy pumping up!.....Get back to us so that we can hear how you're doing.

OooO12345 welcome to the forum,

At fifteen you're still growing so you need to consume a lot of calories and healthy protein. A good rule of thumb is to consume 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound. You weigh 120 lbs so you need to consume at least 120 grams of protein. Protein is from sources like lean red meat, chicken and pork. A good protein shake also works wonders. You actually gain muscle after working out by feeding your body protein and carbs within 30 minutes of finishing working out. You work out and your muscles break down then the protein you feed your body builds your muscles back up. You've got to consume protein and healthy carbs such as rice and pasta throughout the day to maintain your muscle. lift major muscle groups such as chest, back, legs and arms. Keep us posted!

Ok mate. Let me tell you what you need to know.

Firstly, to build mass and have a great body you need to do 2 things. Lift weight and do cardio. The most important thing here is the cardio. Many People will tell you that cardio is a waste of time, because you won't build much muscle. This is true, but to have a good figure and feel great you must do at least 20 - 30 minutes of cardiovascular work a day. There are many many buff gym tanks out there with massive arms and shoulders but a big beer-gut.

The weights are the fun bit. Start off light and do not expect to feel great results after your first few goes. You might start sensing changes in your body after the first month or two, and you'll notice a big difference after the first 6 months. I spent almost every day in the gym for at least an hour in my first 6 months and I noticed a lot of change. People will start commenting on how great you look too. The key is consistency and good form.

I'll give you a great site to have a read of. It's completely free and doesn't sell anything. It is run by a guy who really knows his stuff and believes in looking great and feeling wonderful through good old fashioned hard work. He'll tell you almost everything you need to do. Please have a look. His information is what got me the 'know-how' to be what I am today.

Good luck dude.