I am 3 weeks pregnant. I was diagnosed with genital herpes two weeks ago. Yesterday I had home urine pregnancy test and it was positive. Do I have to have the abortion? I have to start with medications but how would they affect baby?

Have you ever had oral or genital herpes before? If you haven’t had, it can be risky for your baby. Herpes can be transmitted from mother to a child during labor and delivery. That can be prevented by caesarian delivery. As I know antiviral medications are taken during pregnancy to reduce risk of transmitting during labor. But it is also important to prevent transmitting through placenta.

I was diagnosed with genital herpes when i was 5 months pregnant. Worse experience ever, I was unable to urinate for 2 days the pain was far too much. Anyway, when it came time for me to deliver, they actually gave me antibiotics to protect the baby from getting any kind of transmission during the vaginal birth. I delivered vaginally and my daughter is 8 now and she's perfectly fine. Definitely consult with your GYN and they will explain it to you. I had a good GYN and they were very good in making sure I was informed. Good Luck and congrats.