I want to improve my speed. I am an average cyclist and I am not happy about it. I read that if I start to lift weights and build some muscle mass I may improve my speed. That sounds logical doesn’t it? Bigger muscles mean greater strength and power. What are your suggestions regarding the cyclist’s weight training?

You are right and you have made a good choice. Nowdays it is hard to find athlete regardless of the main sport he is in, that is not involved in weight training. Only bigger and well trained muscles can carry out the load of the ultimate challenges. There is one thing you must pay attention to. While building your muscle mass you will have to decrease the amount of other training. In fact, during the power and mass phase of the training you will cycle only for maintenance. After you gain some muscle mass and power then you will switch and work with weights only for maintenance. At that time you will do some hard cycling to improve your speed, endurance and distance time. You will be surprised how fast you can gain speed with newly developed muscles.