About a year ago I went to the doctor for a Pap Smear and a birth control prescription. This was the first time that I had ever had a Pap Smear and taken birth control. Well, I went for my one year checkup a couple weeks ago and my Pap Smear came back abnormal. I have atypical squamous cells of an undetermined significance. I'm quite scared. My doctor said that it could be from inflammation, hormones, or HPV. The first two don't really bother me because they can be fixed, but HPV sounds extraordinarily scary. I've seen commercials for Gardasil and I've read that a lot of people have HPV and don't even know it. My doctor said it is most likely not cancer because I'm only 20 and my 1st Pap Smear was normal. I'm wondering if it could be from the birth control. Since I've only been taking birth control pills for a year, could the hormones be enough to cause changes in the cells of my cervix in that amount of time? My doctor wants to do another Pap smear in 3 months and see if it changes. If anyone has any experience with this or knows any information it would definitely ease my mind to know.

I just wanted to give a short update, since there are almost 60 views for the previous post. I went back for another PAP smear and this one came back normal. I don't know why the one before came back abnormal. I'd like to know, but there are so many different reasons as to why, that I think it'd be almost impossible to tell.