Hello there! Two days ago I went to the gyno office on my regular check up ( no, I don’t like it, but I suppose one needs check ups once in a while ), the doc examined me and booked me for colposcopy in a couple of days. What exactly is colposcopy and why is it performed? Could it be something dangerous? Thank you!

Colposcopy is done when pap smear gives some abnormal results. Colposcopy is ordered if a doc suspects dysplasia or cancer, HPV, or if pap shows atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance, or if your cervix looks abnormal. A colposcopy is a visual examination of the cervix. It is a simple and painless procedure and it may last ten to fifteen minutes. A doc uses acetic acid( like table vinegar ) and puts it on the cervix. This causes the cervical cells to fill with water so light doesn’t pass through them. Then they use a colposcope-a large, electric microscope that is positioned approximately 30 cm from your vagina. There is some bright light on the end of the colposcope that makes it possible for a doc to visualize the cervix.

Another thing is that if they see abnormal cells they take a biopsy. They did that with me, and they took 2 pieces.

I went to the doctor because my pap test came back abnormal after having a misscariage and a D&C done, so when i went to the Dr. he did a biobsy and he also took two pieces, and i have to go tback in two weeks to find out if they are cervical or if they r ok and then i guess i'll find out where i go from there, I am so nervous because i dont know whats going on and i hate waiting, plus not to mention by body/ and my period is not back to normal yet from my surgery. I feel ike my whole woman hood is just screwed up right now. thanks for listening sherri