Hi I had a acl reconstruction done 2 weeks ago but my leg has been giving way more than before the opertion. What does this mean?? Has my operation been unsuccessful?? If so what are my options now?? Do I go for reconstruction again?? because my surgeon said a 2nd reconstruction would more than likely fail again - but he wont tell me much else he said they will not be able to tell whether the operation was successful for another 6-9 months. Can you give me any advice??

You are now three weeks post-op...your knee giving way is quite normal considering your quadriceps muscles are very weak and cannot keep your knee straight. Are you not wearing a brace that is locked @ 0 degrees while walking? Are you not in physical therapy right now? If not, then you need to ask your physician to write you a prescription for physical therapy ASAP! Surely your doctor gave you a home exercise program to assist you in your recovery.

I had an acl reconstruction last year July 07 and three months after my reconstruction my knee was still giving away even after extensive rehab. I had another MRI to find out that my PCL was not supporting my knee either so I had to have a PCL reconstruction in November 07 as well and now my knee is completely stable. So perhaps see if there are any underlying issues once you have completed your strength work on your quadriceps. You need to give it at least three months before you can start to guage if there are any other problems with other ligaments in the knee. I have a knee with 5 screws, but at least it is stable. Hope this helps.