I had surgery in August this year to repair a torn meniscus. Its now december and i am still in constant pain. Is this normal?

Hello! The success of a meniscus repair is most dependent on two factors. If the meniscus repair is attempted on a tear in the central portion of cartilage, it is likely to fail. Patients must be compliant with the post-operative rehabilitation after a meniscus repair. If the meniscus repair, which happens between 20 to 40% of the time, a second surgery may be necessary to remove the re-torn meniscus. Traditionally, the rehab was very slow, with activities restricted for many months after surgery. More recently, a faster rehab has been attempted. However, there is still no consensus, and many surgeons vary in their recommendations. You should always follow your doctor's specific instructions for post-operative rehab. By 3 to 4 months, most surgeons will allow return to full activities and no longer protect the knee. Patients must slowly return to sports and competition, but they no longer have restrictions on motion and do not require the use of a brace. But if you're still in constant pain, after, three months, you should ask your doctor's opinion.

Hey. thanks. The doctors didnt really give me much info at all. I have to go for a ct scan, 8 hours away. My meniscus was torn for 3 years before surgery so im guessing that'd be a factor. I only had physio once every three weeks after surgery.

I had same surgery 2 months ago. I understand your constant pain because I have it, too. It's mainly at the incision site - stabbing pain in the middle of the night. Possibly star tissue pain which I'm massaging.

I'm getting discharged from Physical Therapy soon and will seek a Pain Management Clinic (with ultrasound). I suggest you do the same and let the doctor who performed the surgery know of your pain. If you get ignored about your constant pain, find another doctor who will listen.

I had acl reconstruction (hamstring) that included some "minor" meniscal repair (apparently they were able to stitch it back together vs trimming it) a month ago. I think the ACL is healing well and I am getting more and more range of motion back (up to 120 degrees). However, in the past week or so I began to notice pain in the "outside-back" portion of my knee. I can get through my physio regimine but its incredibly sore afterward - not during (I do not attribute this to fatigue from the workout as it isn't that hard or lengthy - but more of a sharp pain if I move it to certain spots). This pain wasn't present for the first 3 weeks of my treatment and I didn't have an "oh c**p" moment where I thought something went awry. My fear here is that the stitches didn't hold and that the meniscus is in need of some sort of additional repair. I am currently taking a boatload of advil to try to get any swelling down (there isn't much). I am also going to physio twice a week.  Does anyone have a similar experience and if so what was the outcome?

I am 61 yrs. old and had surgery in June, 2012, to repair a torn meniscus. While I am somewhat improved, I am still having pain and stiffness. I have a large Baker's cyst behind my knee, but the doctor was reluctant to drain it because these cysts usually just return. I took care of myself and did all the physical therapy, but I was expecting a better result. I wonder if this situation has any hope of improvement more than 6 months after surgery.

Sorry to hear about your pain. I myself have had menisus and removel of plicka on the knee joint. From the surgery i ended up with DVTs I did all my rehab and 1 year later after lovinox shots in my stomach and warinfin blood thinner. It has been 5 years now and i still have severe pain throbbing in my quad area and bad charlie horses in my leg and knee with a fluid sack where the operating tools where inserted into my knee. I would not suggest anyone having this surgery unless you read alot on it and make sure you have a good doctor with alot of experence with this type of health care problem. Hope and pray for the best for u good lucks in the future with this its more of a pain in the A-- than it worth!!!!

I had a torn meniscus both outside and inside of my knee. He repaired it by cutting away some of the meniscus.That was in July 2015, Today Dec 2015 I cannot walk without excruciating pain. I don't know what to do other than head to the Er. Something is seriously wrong. I cannot put any weight on it.

I had surgery in April 2018 and its been 5 months now and Im still in pain ,I went back to my doctor he ordered another MRI? is this normal to be in pain for this long after months of P.T and icing 4times a day??

I had a meniscus tear repair in March 2018. Did all the rehab and took to cycling which helped greatly. Swelling gone and range of movement is very good. However, I have not been able to return to running mainly 5k and 10k races as still get pain in the meniscus area and left or right movements can be painful. I can do light jogging but knee does not feel over comfortable which, a year on, means I have not been able to return to competitive running, which I miss, but still using the bike. I used to be able to do 7 miniute miles prior to the injury.I am 65.!

I had 2 torn Meniscus surgery its close to bone on bone now a year later its hurting again

I had a torn meniscus surgery at ARO (Advanced Regenerative Orthopedics) clinic. Prior to my procedure, their surgeon worked with my primary care physician and rehab facility to setup the post-op care program. Rehabilitation exercises helped me regain mobility and strength in the knee. Recovery time has taken nearly two months. Now I feel no pain, swelling is gone