Hi, my friend suffers from ulcerative colitis. He was diagnosed with it five months ago, and recently he found out that there is an experimental device called adacolumn apheresis. He wants to try it, but he doesn’t know anything about it. Is there anyone who can give me some information about adacolumn apheresis?

Hi, I heard about adacolumn apheresis a few days ago, some of my friends were talking about it. It is mostly used for treating ulcerative colitis, an inflammatory bowel disease that causes elevated and activated granulocytes. Adacolumn apheresis can be bought in Japan, because their Ministry of Health and Welfare approved it. This device is an adsorptive carrier that adsorbs about 65% of granulocytes, 55% of monocytes and 2% of lymphocytes from the blood in the column. It is most often used 4-10 times, one or two sessions per week. It is safe and helpful in most cases, but sometimes the side effects can appear. Some patients had symptoms like dizziness, dizziness on standing, headache, nausea, mild fever and flushing. I don’t know what is your friend going to decide, but if I was in his shoes, I would try to cure ulcerative colitis with adacolumn apheresis.