I am a woman of 46 years. On my last exam, my gynecologist told me that I need to do endometrial ablation due to the excessive bleeding. He told me that this procedure is not complicated and that it is an alternative to hysterectomy. Are there any risks to this procedure? How it is done? Will I have any problems afterwards and will the bleeding stop?

Endometrial ablation is the removal or destruction of the endometrium. Endometrium is lining of the uterus. Endometrial ablation is a procedure to permanently remove a thin tissue layer of the lining of the uterus. It is done to stop or reduce excessive or abnormal bleeding in women for whom childbearing is complete. The procedure is not complicated and it does not require hospitalization. Most women return to normal activities in a day or two. Endometrial ablation is an alternative to hysterectomy for many women with heavy uterine bleeding. After a successful endometrial ablation, most women will have little or no menstrual bleeding. Endometrial ablation has traditionally been done using a hysteroscope, but now it is mainly done by an instrument called resectoscope. It's a special type of telescope that allows doctors to see inside of the uterus. The success rate of this procedure is very high. Almost 60% of women have no bleeding at all after one year. The risk in endometrial ablation exists, like in any other surgical procedure. Some of them are perforation of the uterus, bleeding, infection, absorbing excess fluid, injury to organs within abdomen and pelvis etc.