After trying many, many times to quit this evil addiction and not being able to tolerate the withdrawl ... The restless legs, lack of concentration and TOTAL lack of energy was the worst!

I have been off for 2 weeks and this only my opinion and suggestions on what is "so far" working for me.

First of all I have no health insurance so that route was out of the question.
I turned to the street for methadone and suboxen..... HA both in my opinion had a somewhat comparable addictive high to them!? So that wasnt working not to mention the street price of these drugs is as high as the hydrocodones!!!!

After these lessons I went this route and have SO FAR had most success......

If possible wean yourself down as much as possible - this is easier said than done I KNOW and if you dont have a trusted friend or relative to hold what you have left it can be impossible!

I STRONGLY suggest somehow getting your hands on close to a week supply of Tylenol with Codiene. They dont have much of a "HIGH" to them however they totaly eased the urge and I had very mild withdrawl symptoms from the hydros while taking the them. Tylenol with Codiene can be very inexpensive on the street or can sometimes be easily obtained for a toothache.

In preperation for when the 5 day supply of Tylenol with Codiene ran out I went in search of ONLY A FEW Xanax or Valium. These also are inexpensive on the street. In my opinion Xanax is better than Valium since the blah effects of the valium tend to linger a bit longer the next day.

BE WARNED - these AMAZING "happy pills" (xanax and valium) are HIGHLY addictive themselves which is why i suggest only getting a few.

I found 3 Xanax bars... perfect!
So when the Tylenol w/ Codiene ran out and I was getting jittery to go buy some hydros....... I ate one WHOLE Xanax bar. WOW! I went from being short tempered, depressed and anxious as can be to the happiest person on the planet! I didnt last too long on this dosage and I soon was sleeping like a baby with no sweats or restless legs.. AHHHHHH.

The next morning although I couldnt even remember where I put my cigs... I felt great! Of course I still had the urge to go thro the motions of eating that hydro with my coffe my anxiety level was low. I smoked a few hits of pot to keep my mood swings low during the day and when my urges started to gain slight control I at ONLY 1/3 of the next xanax to take the edge off.

Needlees to say.... Its been 2 weeks off the hydrocodones and I have managed to keep the withdrawl symptoms to a minimum doing the above. The most agaonizing effect so far is lack of energy. Energy drinks seem to do nothing. A good multivitamin after a small meal seems to give me the most burst of energy at this stage.

Today I took my last 1/3 xanax. Tomorow will technicaly be the first day I dont take a prescription pill for the first time in almost 10 years! Hopefully my next planned out step will work as well as my thought out plan has so far.

My plan for the next to weeks of self rehab is 600-800 mg Ibuprophin during day for leg and back aches instead of a hydro. Multivitamin and sandwich for lunch instead of a hydro and expensive energy drink. And Advil PM 1/2 hour before bed instead of xanax combined with my relaxing noise iPhone app at bedtime to keep me relaxed and my mind from wandering til I fall fast asllep. :-) Wish me luck.

Sorry for rambling but Ive tried many times to stop taking these evil pills. I finally put thought into what may work for me. Just sharing my experiance perhaps it may help someone else in some way.

I wish ou well. How do you fight the urges? I went three month without any and this weekend I couldn't resist the urge and took two pills. Now I'm fearful I go back to uing them regularly.

if u can somehow fight the urge ny taking a walk or reading the internet do it. i have stopped then after days did some pills, then went clean for days then again did 3 pills on monday and have been suffering 3 days. DO NOT TAKE THAT FIRST PILL. write a gratitude list every day, but its the low low energy level that makes me want to do a pill. the pain i am handling some what but i have A PROBLEM even getting out of bed. i am researching what will help with energy. going to try some ensure and also there is a smoothie available at walmart that contains 5 apples 54 strawberries and 3 bannanas since i find it hard to eat the fruit. maybe some kind of protein powder. i have read that has helped some people with the energy. i am going to force myself out of bed and move around

if u can somehow fight the urge  by taking a walk or reading the internet do it. i have stopped then after days did some pills, then went clean for days then again did 3 pills on monday and have been suffering 3 days. DO NOT TAKE THAT FIRST PILL. write a gratitude list every day, but its the low low energy level that makes me want to do a pill. the pain i am handling some what but i have A PROBLEM even getting out of bed. i am researching what will help with energy. going to try some ensure and also there is a smoothie available at walmart that contains 5 apples 54 strawberries and 3 bannanas since i find it hard to eat the fruit. maybe some kind of protein powder. i have read that has helped some people with the energy. i am going to force myself out of bed and move around

you sound like you just take pills yo get high it's totally different when you have a diagnosis

My real question is this, in the long run are we being made to choose the lesser of two evils? I rupture the L1-S5 disc in my back and I have several more bulging disc. What am I suppose to do? Im prescribed 8 10-325 norco's a day. I have already experience some withdrawal issues (from taken more than I was prescribed to be able to be sociable with family and friends during special events.); however my back hurts me greatly if I don't take the norco. What should I do be an addict or be a miserable person who is always in pain?

I am with you! I had back surgery in december and the surgeon seemed to think I should be off the hydrocodine in 6 weeks. I had been taking it for over a year trying to prevent surgery. Then, my family practice doc doesn't see a problem with taking a couple a day. I am confused. I have been trying to cut down to 1/2 pill three times a day and am going through similar symptoms as the others on the post, restless leg syndrome, feeling like I am coming out of my skin, fatigue, slight depression. I hate it!!! I would love to get off the meds but have a full time job as well as trying to finish a degree. I am really torn.

13 years norco 300 a month 90 morophine 90 xanax 90 soma ..I stoped it all I caught my son smoking Haroin and he told me there was mo defrent s I was so shock I was sick terrified he was right he went to rehab got well I did it on my own I got my month supply frim my doctor and threw them in a lake. I have no way of getting any it was the hardest thing I have evrer done I take excedrin 3 a day went and got a hotel with a jaquizzi tub burnt oneotor up transfer room and burnt the other one up its been a week im good just verry emotional. .

Thanks for writing this! :)

Please use precaution regarding your intake of Ibuprofen (and any other NSAIDS: non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications.
I took basically the same daily dose for a *severely* sprained ankle (from which my foot has never regained its former shape) for about six months and ended up in the Gastroenterologist's office with a dangerous case of GERD, if not brought on by my high daily dosage than exacerbated by it. There are some other other non-opioid pain medications and you may have already researched into them. But in my opinion, I think we should spend more money looking into giving people more choices than Acetaminophen (shown by some studies to be able to cause severe liver damage in repeated uses of a "safe" dose) NSAIDS and opioids.) Maybe check out Tramadol. I can't make claims for it except that I understand it is somewhat of an outsider pill, given sometimes to people who have opioid addictions but don't want to continue taking them BUT still need pain relief. I hope I haven't offended you by my words, and I wish you the best. I kicked some stuff a long time ago the hard way too and it was absolutely worth it.

Very proud of you and your son, sorry the meds from hell caused this for y'all. I'm in same boat, if I could afford hotel with jacuzzi even for 3 days I could do it to. I've been tapering, I just feel like I'm w/d everyday. Wanted to Great Job!

Thank you very much

our comment is awaiting moderation. I have used hydrocodone for about 7 years now. I am 51 and have noticed a lot of adverse effects lately. Not to mention the approximately $40,000 spent on them. A lot of u will probably condemn my method of quitting but it worked and so I don't care what u think. I started by amassing a collection of 44 5mg Valium, 25 50 mg Tramadol and 5 Somas. The Somas were of no use so forget them. I was never a hardcore user(about 4 10mg hydros a day) I honestly think that much more than that is asinine and just looking for an elusive high that's not gonna happen . Regardless I took 4 50 mg Tramadol each day and 4 5 mg valium at night to sleep. After 5 days I was pretty much over it and ready to go back to work.(I had taken a week off) I don't know how well this would work for a hardcore junkie...cause I'm sorry but if u take 15-20 a day u are an id**t and should expect to pay the price. But if u had a problem similar to mine it is nowhere near as bad as people say. There are a lot of weak people out there looking for an excuse not to quit.

I was researching and reading today and came across your post from a year ago. I have Spinal Stenosis, bulging disc and arthritis in L-1 through L-5 plus other physical problems. I've was sent to a surgeon who basically said I had less than a 50% chance of any surgery doing any good at all and the other 50% was a long recovery and no guarantees. So, since I am the caretaker for my elderly parents, I didn't have a choice other than taking the Hydrophone. Now, 5 years later, I'm sooooo tired of being enslaved to these meds and the Government is cracking down on my Doctors that then crack down on me. I've made the decision to talk to my pain specialist, when I see him on Monday, about trying to come up with a way out of this vicious cycle. I have no doubt this is going to be very difficult and just wondered how you were doing and if you had any other advice to share??? Thank! :)

I took Kratom and got off a 10 year addiction to Hydrocodone. I barely had any symptoms. I was using about 8 pain pills a day. I didn't have any side effects from the Kratom and stopped taking it easily after 10 days.