Hey guys,

About 4 years ago I had surgery for an anal fistula. About a week ago I started to get a little bit of irritation in the area that the surgery actually took place in, and was curious as to whether or not this has happened to anyone else? The main reason I'm asking is because (of course) I'm thinking the worst possible scenario and getting myself worried about another abscess developing. The area isn't showing any swelling, and there isn't the intense pain that anal abscesses usually have come with them (SEVERELY intense in my last ones case). It's almost more of a "sore" feeling then anything else. And everyone once in a while my actual anus gets a bit of an itchy, dry feeling to it (possible fissure?).

If it were an abscess wouldn't it have progressed to something much worse then it is now? No lump, no nothing. I seem to remember the pain intensifying really rapidly with the abscess that lead to the surgery.

I"m beginning to think that the reason for the irritation is because of the chair that I sit in when it comes to using my PC (I just recently purchased Diablo II and I will admitt that I've been sitting in said chair for extended amounts of time). Could this be a possibility?

Also, wouldn't an abscess have showed it's ugly face way before now it that were the case? I hear alot of them reoccure quite fast.

Any info or suggestions / opinions are welcome.

I plan on going to my DR. if things persist (so far that hasn't been the case at all) but at the moment I honestly think that all they'd say at the moment is "wait to see what happens". I really don't have any signs that point to abscess.

Hi hon! When anything happens to our bodies, the best way to figure it out is by a check list!

1. When did this start happening?
2. What would have caused this to happen?
3. When did I make a change that caused this situation?

So as you mentioned you are OBSESSED and sitting for hours at a time! So this would be a HUGE reason why you are having irritation! Both from underwear seams, and clothing seams, and pressure points from the chair!! As you said, a Fissure/Abscess is a BIG deal! Your symtpoms are more an irritation than an actual BIG deal right?

Any scar tissue, does not have the same thickness as regular skin! Unless it's a keloid scar! So from what sounds like a TERRIBLE abscess has left a "soft spot" of skin, so you sitting like this and having pressure points and rubbing is NOT helping this part of your anus out at all! Give Diablo a break right now OK? OR it could be your REAL "DEVIL!!" >;) ;-) XD So wear loose clothing and wash the area with non soap cleanser, and non scented. Keep it dry as possible, and IF it still continues get in to the doctor to get it checked on!

You should be OK in a couple of days! And please let me know how you make out OK? Good luck and health!

Hi Bambi,

Thanks a TON for the reply. In all honesty, I think you're spot on with what you said hahaha. I've given Diablo a break (as I agree with you, it could be the real devil!). I guess after having an abscess in the past, and knowing just how horrid it can be (no pun intended!) that was the first thing to cross my mind when this stuff came up.

I've actually got all of next week starting at the 29th off, and if this doesn't get any better I'll definitely be making my way into the Dr's before it progresses into anything worse. Or vice versa, if for some unfortunate reason it kicks into overdrive, I'll go in immediately.

Again, I appreciate all the info more then I can say!

Hey man. The irritation in your scar area might have not been caused by operation. It could've been just an irritation, as you mentioned, because of sitting too much. I suggest you to try and walk as much as you can concerning your scar and your damaged tissue. The thing about anal fistula surgery is that you can't let it happen twice, and you must take care about it. Also, important thing is not to touch the scar, and try not to scratch it or cause bleeding in any other way. Try walking and avoid sitting positions. It's better to lay down than to sit. 

Hi Bambi,

Again, I appreciate all the info more then I can say, and I'll definitely keep you posted!

How long will it take to come to normal condition precisely.

I get irritation on my fistula/abscess scar all the time. Its usually from sitting or from pressing on the area (im a bit obsessed and worried about it). I had mine 3 years ago exactly. If you dont have Crohns and you had a fistulotomy it is unlikely it will come back. My proctologist told me its normal to have itching, pinching, soreness, etc on occasion, just like any other scar.

Hi. Did you manage to find a way to manage the pain. I had an abcess drained and now every few months when I travel or sit too much the area around the scar tissue gets painful and immediately I start worrying about the worst case scenario of repeat abcess.